Recreating recipes from my trip!
  Re: (...)
One restaurant I was at was in Sisters OR called Rancho Vieja. They served chips and salsa at the table (of course) but also served a Mexican Coleslaw for the chips too. It was really, really great on chips.

[Image: spicycoleslaw.jpg]

I found a recipe for Mexican Coleslaw and it is very similar to what I had. My husband LOVED it and we have been eating chips and coleslaw for a couple of days.

Mexican Coleslaw
1 head cabbage, thinly sliced or 1 pkg coleslaw mix
1 large maui onions, thinly sliced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
2/3 cup lime juice about 5 limes
10 teaspoons light extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoon sugar or 2 tablespoon sugar substitute
8 jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced

Combine the cabbage, onion, cilantro and jalapeños in a salad bowl and set aside.

Combine the lime juice, olive oil, sea salt and sugar and whisk until the sugar and salt are dissolved, then pour over the cabbage mixture and serve immediately.

Note from Laura: This does do very well for a few days in the fridge. Great for an appy to bring to a gathering. Must try with pickled jalapenos because that is what the waitress said was used. I thought this recipe was really wonderful though. The addition of cumin could add some great flavor I think.

------------------------
The other recipe I am working on recreating is a Chicken in Green Mole . This was served with warmed tortillas on the side. When we ate we also put the Mexican Coleslaw on top and it was really, really superb.

I still have not found a Chicken in Green Mole recipe that looks similar to the one we had. I may have to try a few to get it right. The Green Mole had the same 'chocolate' bite as the brown mole. Gosh it was delicious.

So if any of you have a green mole I should try, let me know!

[Image: 3087.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Recreating recipes from my trip! by luvnit (One restaurant I was...)
Laura, check out the ingredients in this one - sound like something you had?? Or a start for?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mole Poblano with Chicken

4 chicken breast halves, bone-in and skin on
3 TBLS olive oil
1 yellow onion, medium size, finely diced (about 1 cup)
1 green bell pepper, finely diced (about 1 cup)
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
¼ cup almonds, chopped
3 cloves garlic, smashed
2 TBLS chili powder
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
½ tsp thyme leaves, chopped
¼ tsp anise seed
¼ tsp cinnamon
3 tomatoes, medium size, chopped
1 cup chicken broth, plus more as needed
3 TBLS almond or peanut butter
2 ounces chocolate, chopped
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 TBLS sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm oil. Place chicken in Dutch oven and cook, turning, until brown on all sides, about 8 – 10 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add onion to the hot pan and stir to brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, almonds and garlic; sauté until aromatic, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder, ginger, thyme, anise seed and cinnamon. Sauté until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes.

Pour in 1 cup chicken broth and stir to deglaze pan, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of pan. Whisk in almond or peanut butter, return chicken and any juices to pan. Bring to a boil. Cover pan and transfer to hot oven. Braise chicken until tender, about 1 hour. Add a little chicken broth as needed throughout cooking time to keep level constant.

Remove pot from oven. Remove chicken from pot; cover to keep warm. Add chocolate to sauce, stirring to melt. Add salt and pepper. Return chicken to sauce in pot and turn to coat evenly. Bring mixture to simmer over medium heat to warm chicken throughout. Remove chicken to serving platter; sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Serves four.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The coleslaw sounds great!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Recreating recipes from my trip! by cjs (Laura, check out the...)
Mole Poblano is a different kind of mole and isn't green.

Here's a recipe, translated from a Mexican website, for Mole Verde (Green Mole). Don't know if this is what you had, or not, but this is how it would be in Mexico:

Mole Verde
Yield: 27 Ounces (weight)
Preparation time: 1 1/2 hours.

Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup Boiled or chlorinated water
  • 1 Lb Pumpkin seeds
  • 10 Tomatillos
  • 1/2 Medium Onion, sliced
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and cut in halves
  • Parsley to taste, washed and disinfected
  • 1 bunch cilantro, washed and disinfected
  • 4 or 5 Avocado leaves, washed
  • 3 Lettuce leaves, washed
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons Salt
  • 1 Cup of Edible vegetable oil
Equipment:
  • 1 Quart pewter pot with lid
  • Large spoon for cooking
  • 2 Quart stainless-steel pan (to sterilize the product)
  • Blender
  • Sterilized jar with lid and capacity to hold the product.
  • Label
Instructions:
  1. Put water, pumpkin seeds, tomatillos, onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, avocado leaves and lettuce leaves into a blender.
  2. Purée.
  3. Place mixture into a saucepan.
  4. Add salt and oil, mixing well.
  5. Cook at medium heat until it has formed a thick paste - about 20 minutes.
  6. Pack hot into perfectly clean and dry jars.
  7. Close the jars loosely and sterilize the product by placing in boiling water for 20 minutes.
Packaging and Storage:
  • After the sterilization time remove jars, tighten lids, dry and cool to room temperature.
  • After cooling the jars, label indicating the name of the product, date of manufacture and expiry.
  • This product can be placed in a cool and dry location, but needs refrigeration after opening.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Recreating recipes from my trip! by labradors ([i]Mole Poblano[/i] ...)
Where on earth would you find avocado leaves?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Recreating recipes from my trip! by Gourmet_Mom (Where on earth would...)
Five minutes ago finished watching a Grill It! Bobby Flay episode where they used pumpkin seeds and some of those same ingredients to make a pesto. Looked fantastic.
  Re: Re: Recreating recipes from my trip! by Trixxee (Five minutes ago fin...)
We used pumpkin seeds and those other ingredients at the Little Mexican Cooking School for our lesson!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Recreating recipes from my trip! by Gourmet_Mom (Where on earth would...)
Quote:

Where on earth would you find avocado leaves?

My guess would be an Avocado tree Ba-dum-bum

But seriously folks, where WOULD you get avocado leaves? If I have to grow the tree myself, it is going to be a very long time before I make this. The recipe does look good though.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Recreating recipes from my trip! by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
My first guess would be to look for a Mexican (or other Latino) market. If they don't have them, they may be able to tell you who does.

A second place to check would be a farmers' market that carries fresh avocados. I don't remember where you are, Laura, but if you do have a market where people sell their own avocados (i.e. not something they purchased from a distributor), then those people have trees with leaves on them and you could ask them to bring you a few leaves the next time they come to market.

Otherwise, growing the tree, itself, wouldn't take very long if you only want a few leaves for a recipe. Justget it started with the usual toothpick method, transplant it to a small pot, when necessary and, when it has a few decent leaves on it, use them. There wouldn't be any need to wait for a huge, full-grown, fruit-bearing tree to grow.

Whichever way you go, the leaves you would want are the Mexican avocado (Persea dryminfolia), instead of the Guatemalan/American avocado (Persea americana), since the latter can be toxic (in quantities of 20g per kg of body weight).
  Re: Re: Recreating recipes from my trip! by labradors (My first guess would...)
I've got avocado trees that I've been growing for 25 years from the seed. I use the seeds from the big green avocados, not the small brownish Haas ones.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Recreating recipes from my trip! by BarbaraS (I've got avocado tre...)
Send some to Laura and Daphne.