Grilling Fruits on a Skewer
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I'm thinking about picking up some extra fruits and putting them on a skewer to grill them after we do the ribs on the 4th. Has anyone done this? I'm thinking about pineapple chunks and fresh peaches (since they're in season now due to the warm spring).

Any other suggestions? How about timing? Should I stack the same fruit on a skewer or can I get heterogenous with them?

TIA,

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Grilling Fruits on a Skewer by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I'm ...)
I challenge you to make raisins by grilling grapes!

What about plums? Grilled apple slices and then top it (on the plate of course) with a caramel sauce.

Apricots
  Re: Re: Grilling Fruits on a Skewer by DFen911 (I challenge you to m...)
Apricots would work!

But I need to know if I'm to separate the fruits by skewer or take my chances and incenerate them with the denser slices.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Grilling Fruits on a Skewer by BarbaraS (Apricots would work!...)
Pineapple & mango for me. I bunch them up tight to preserve the moisture. A good basting sauce helps also (Coconut milk/sugar).
  Re: Re: Grilling Fruits on a Skewer by losblanos1 (Pineapple & mango fo...)
I don't use skewers for the pineapple, apricots, peaches on the grill. I spray with Pam and lightly sprinkle with cayenne as a foil to the sweetnes that comes out of cooking the fruit. Wonderful flavors. Bananas we've done in the skins with just an opening slit in them. Can't think of other fuit we've done.....

Because of the sweetness of the grilled fruit, I wouldn't do a sweet sauce, I'd rather have a balsamic reduction or a wine reductions (Merlot, cab, zin, etc. anything not oaked) and top with shaved parmesan, Asiago, Manchego, etc.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilling Fruits on a Skewer by cjs (I don't use skewers ...)
I agree with the reduction. My limited experience, the fruit gets much sweeter when grilled. The acid of the balsamic balances it. But I'm new to this, so what do I know?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.