Corn Bread & Sausage Stuffed Peppers
  Re: (...)
This was amazing! The fun part was discussing all the different things that could be used in it. I didn't have any yellow squash (couldn't find any) so we subbed hominy and it was really good! Mushrooms would be good too.

12 oz bulk Italian Sausage
1 cup finely cholled yellow summer squash (or 1 can yellow hominy - drained)
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 cups cubed cornbread (1/2")
1 14 oz jar spaghetti sauce
3 medium assorted colored peppers (red, orange, yellow) halved lengthwise.
1/3 cup shredded parm. cheese

Heat oven to 350. Spray an 11 x 7" glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray.

Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat 3 to 4 minutes or until beginning to brown, stirring frequently. Add squash, celery, and onion; cook 5 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, stirring often. Add garlic and salt & pepper stir and cook for one minute. Remove from heat and gently stir in corn bread.

Pour spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon stuffing into pepper halves mounding as needed. Arrange in the baking dish, cover with foil and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until peppers are almost tender. Sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until the peppers are tender.

adapted from Cooking club magazine.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Corn Bread & Sausage Stuffed Peppers by Harborwitch (This was amazing! T...)
And me with squash coming out my ears! Now to find some reasonably priced peppers.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Corn Bread & Sausage Stuffed Peppers by Gourmet_Mom (And me with squash c...)
I don't think I'll look at this for another few weeks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Corn Bread & Sausage Stuffed Peppers by cjs (I don't think I'll l...)
We do a similar one, and stuff poblanos, minus the sauce. It's one of our favourites.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Corn Bread & Sausage Stuffed Peppers by Lorraine (We do a similar one,...)
What a great idea Lorraine!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!