Pig Parts!
  Re: (...)
Awhile back, two ladies that work for us bought a chicken farm, and decided to raise some pigs also. After bringing the first batch to be butchered, they asked if if we wanted any parts. Of course, he wanted the trotters, hocks, neck bones etc, all the parts no one else wanted. The butcher had kept them all. This week, she landed on our doorstep with a big box full of parts. Jowls, trotters, hocks, neck bones and livers. Again, he kept the head, ears, tails etc for himself. But, we are very happy campers, and he has been pouring over all his charcuterie and pork books, of which we have many.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Pig Parts! by Lorraine (Awhile back, two lad...)
Be sure you let us know what he does with those, Lorraine. I'm sure it's going to be something spectacular!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pig Parts! by Mare749 (Be sure you let us k...)
Just a word of warning - we raised our pigs as healthy as possible. No garbage, ever. I grew veggies especially for them to supplement the feed. BUT, with all that, we were never able to save the livers. Please be careful.

I used to have so much fun with all the pig parts we would get. Bet the butcher kept the casings, tho, huh???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pig Parts! by cjs (Just a word of warni...)
"Bet the butcher kept the casings, tho, huh?". You know he did.

Have fun, Lorraine! Can't wait to hear all about it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pig Parts! by Gourmet_Mom ("Bet the butcher kep...)
It would be fun to hear what he's doing! We, at work, sort of raise pigs, too. One of the caterers lives on a farm and buys piglets every spring. We feed them all summer, what a great diet they have with our trimmings (especially fruit), all kinds of veggies. Then when they are slaughtered in the fall, we all buy the product. Good stuff!!

PJ

ETA, Jean, what about the livers?
PJ
  Re: Pig Parts! by Lorraine (Awhile back, two lad...)
Oh my - hocks and jowls, my favorite parts. I smoke both - and so wish I could find more!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pig Parts! by Harborwitch (Oh my - hocks and jo...)
Yup, we forgot about the casings. Jean, he was concerned about the livers also. Can you tell me more?
  Re: Re: Pig Parts! by Lorraine (Yup, we forgot about...)
No matter how carfully pigs are raised, we have to remember they will eat anything - poop, mud, etc. and goes right to affecting the liver.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pig Parts! by cjs (No matter how carful...)
Thanks, Jean. I'm having second thoughts about them.