OT: Trip photos
  Re: (...)
Here are photos that start with the view across the street from the door of the hotel, then go counter-clockwise around the block.

Most show various local street vendors. You'll also see three photos of the grill where I had the green onions. In the last shot, the black doorway across the street in the far right of the photo is the hotel doorway from which the first shot was taken.

The two shots before the last are a couple of interesting items.

The first is a fruit that resembles a large, thick bean pod. Inside, the beans are surrounded by a sweet pulp covered with a sweet, white powder that tasted like vanilla ice cream. The Spanish name for this fruit is paterna, but the common name is "inga" and, because of the flavour, it is also called the "ice-cream bean."

The second is a picture of the flowers of the izote or yucca (NOT to be confused with yuca). I'm not really familiar with these, but they're beautiful and the locals said they boil the opened flowers, mix them with eggs and bread crumbs, season them and then fry them as fritters. In addition, they boil the pistils and then pickle them in vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.

HERE is the slide show.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: OT: Trip photos by labradors (Here are photos that...)
Way cool Labs! I think I've seen those bean pods before.

When I used to go to the Dominican Republic I loved to go to the open air markets, but the super mercados were a bit depressing. That's where I got to eat uncured pork and bacon and passion fruit jam! Nothing like it!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: OT: Trip photos by BarbaraS (Way cool Labs! I th...)
Wow, Rob. I love the colors and the beauty of the marketplace. I wonder if I could get those Inga beans in Mexico? Were those stuffed chickens in that box?
Cis
Empress for Life
Stunning pictures! That just looks so amazing with all the bright colors, beautiful people, and different items for sale!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT: Trip photos by Harborwitch (Stunning pictures! ...)
Thanks Labs. That reminds me so much of my travels to Mexico. So festive and the smells so amazing.
Wow Labs. Thanks for sharing.

Did you see those Papayas?? I think they were papayas, they were huge. I want one of those vespa/scooter/moped things. Not very practicle with a family with three kids, but fun!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: OT: Trip photos by esgunn (Wow Labs. Thanks fo...)

Thanks Labs. Enjoyed the slide show and all the stalls.

Interesting life- so different from the U.S.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: OT: Trip photos by mjkcooking ([br]Thanks Labs. En...)
How interesting. Thanks Labs for sharing these with us. I bet the pineapples are as delicious as those we get in Hawaii!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT: Trip photos by cjs (How interesting. Tha...)
@Cis: Those are chickens already stuffed (for flavour, not with stuffing) for roasting.

@Erin: Yes, those were papayas. Now you know why it doesn't take too many papayas for me to freeze ten pounds of diced papaya for smoothies.

@Jean: Among the first food things you notice, here, is how much sweeter and fresher the pineapples and bananas are.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT: Trip photos by labradors (@Cis: Those are chic...)
Thanks so much for sharing your photos, Labs. I find it amusing that you do the same thing I do, which is take pictures of food vendors and outdoor markets. I never have as many of the countryside!

Why aren't you in any of these pictures? We want to see your handsome face!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."