Best Dinner In a LONG Time!
  Re: (...)
Oh Lordie, did we have a wonderful dinner last night.

Started with 18 hour bread made with smoked salt and flour that Don brought us. What a wonderful flavor.
[Image: Smkd18hourbread.jpg]

On to the rest of the oysters - we were all disappointed with the size of them for grilling, too darn big. So I made oyster cakes with them and man, were they delicious. (if anyone wants the recipe, I will write it up soon)
[Image: OysterCakesMay25.jpg]

Then, years ago my friend June Jacobs gave me a recipe, "Scallops Tommy" that was her favorite way to do scallops. I'm talking 2002 or 2003 and I'd never tried it. Well, now I'm kicking myself! It is a delicious dish. I wanted to up the Bunapi mushrooms he brought, but next time I think I would use larger mushrooms - I bet Morels would be wonderful. I only got a picture of prepping the dish, the batteries gave up just as I wanted to take the dish presented. darn. it looked so pretty!!
[Image: ScallopsTommy.jpg]

June's Recipe:
Scallops Tommy

Now is the perfect time to enjoy scallops, as the most succulent of all -- cape scallops are in the midst of their all-too-short season. This is an easy and delicious way to prepare them for a festive dinner, or just for yourself!!

makes 6 servings

1 1/2 cups thinly sliced white onions

1/2 cup fish stock or 1/4 cup each water and dry white vermouth
2 pounds scallops ? Nantucket scallops preferred (if you use the larger sea scallops, slice them in two or three)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or marjoram (or 1 teaspoon dried)
Sea salt and white pepper to taste
1/4 cup Fino Sherry

1. Poach onions in stock until translucent and soft, but not mushy. Add scallops to the simmering liquid and turn it off. Let the scallops sit in the liquid with the onions until they are cooked. (It's important not to overcook the scallops or they will become rubbery.
2. At the same time, melt the butter in a saut? pan. Saut? the mushrooms in the butter until they are brown.
3. Preheat the broiler. Place the scallops and onions in a shallow ovenproof dish. Top with the mushrooms, fresh herbs, and salt and white pepper to taste. Sprinkle the sherry over. Broil close to the heat source for about 2 or 3 minutes, until browned and bubbly. Serve over a pilau of brown and wild rice or saffron fettuccine.

---------

We all agreed it was the best dinner any of us has had in forever!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Best Dinner In a LONG Time! by cjs (Oh Lordie, did we ha...)
WOW, Jean! Looks like you guys had a big night! It all looks delicious!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Best Dinner In a LONG Time! by Gourmet_Mom (WOW, Jean! Looks li...)
That really does look delicious.
  Re: Re: Best Dinner In a LONG Time! by losblanos1 (That really does loo...)
I just thought to check....Jean, you're celebrating all weekend, too! You're birthday is Memorial Day!

PARTY ON!!!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Best Dinner In a LONG Time! by Gourmet_Mom (I just thought to ch...)
Oh my God, are we!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Best Dinner In a LONG Time! by cjs (Oh my God, are we!!!...)
I can't wait to see what you do with the cod!

I'll just sit here on the deck with a glass of wine and enjoy watching the party unfold!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Best Dinner In a LONG Time! by Gourmet_Mom (I can't wait to see ...)
I would love those scallops! What a fun weekend of feasting for you
  Re: Re: Best Dinner In a LONG Time! by DFen911 (I would love those s...)
OMG! Scallops AND oysters, just kill me now why don't cha? Grrreen!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Best Dinner In a LONG Time! by farnfam (OMG! Scallops AND oy...)
Oh my, what a party you have having this weekend! Great way to start your birthday celebration. Both dishes look/sound fantastic.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Best Dinner In a LONG Time! by Mare749 (Oh my, what a party ...)
Might as well continue with this thread - another winner last night, although the oyster cakes and scallop dish could not be beaten!

I used a cheese sauce recipe from Cuisine for Two book and it's really good.

[Image: Open-FacedLingCodSandwichMay26.jpg]

Ling Cod Sandwich, May 26, 2012
The sandwich is easy to put together working in three steps – each step holds well.

Step 1 – Prepping the cod:
4 ling cod (or other firm white fish) filets
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, whisked together
2 cups Rice Krispies (or cereal of choice) crushed
Approximately 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Check fish for any pine bones and remove; set the fish on paper towels and cover with more towels and pat dry. Set aside.

In 3 shallow bowls for coating the fish, place the flour in one, the beaten eggs in the 2nd and crushed cereal in the 3rd. Dredge the fish in the flour, shaking off excess. Dip in the egg, then coat with the cereal. Lay each filet on an oiled rack over a baking pan and let chill in refrigerator for up to 1 hour.

Step 2 – Preparing the cheese sauce: (Cheese sauce – C@H Cuisine for two)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup (4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour, mustard and cayenne; cook for 1 minute to cook away the floury taste. Reduce heat and gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Add Worcestershire sauce and continue cooking over medium-low heat until thickened.

Gradually add 1/2 cup of hot mixture into the eggs; return mixture to saucepan and continue cooking for 1 minute; stirring constantly. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Set aside and keep warm in an oven or place pan over simmering water. While making the cheese sauce, heat oven to 450°F.

Step 3 – Finishing Sandwich:

Have ready4 slices of bread and 4 slices of tomato. In an oven-proof skillet large enough to hold the filets without crowding, heat the vegetable oil to sauté the fish in. When hot, gently add the filets and cook for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat until golden brown; turn the filets over and allow to cook for 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the stovetop and place in oven to complete cooking. Pull the fish from the oven when the internal temperature of the fish reaches 140°F.

Toast the bread slices and place one on each plate; top with a drizzle of cheese sauce followed by a piece of fish. Top with a tomato slice and spoon more cheese sauce over the top. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
www.achefsjourney.com