HappyH Birthday Dinner Review
  Re: (...)
Coconut-Marinated Chicken Kebobs and Pineapple Rice

We loved this dinner! I did most of the prep early in the day, so all we had to do was thread the kebobs, light the grill, and cook the rice, which I do in the microwave.

I was a little bit concerned about the amount of jalapeno called for, but wanted to make this exactly to recipe, so I could give it a fair review. I didn't need to worry, as the coconut milk seems to help mellow out the heat a bit. (And, it was coconut milk that I used)

The timing was exactly right, and the kebobs were done in just under 20 minutes. This is such an easy weeknight meal, and since the prep time was fairly quick, I really didn't need to do it ahead of time. We loved the flavors of both the kebobs and the pineapple rice, and agreed that this meal was a solid 9. If it had been a 90 degree day, we might have given it a 10. Ron made the comment, that's when it would be best. We will definately be doing this one again.

Here's a toast to Jolene. Hope you had a great birthday at the beach!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: HappyH Birthday Dinner Review by Mare749 (Coconut-Marinated Ch...)
Great review Maryann. I've made this dish so many times, I've lost count. It's one of my absolute favorites from Cuisine. I give it a 10+.

[Image: Marinatedcoconutchicken1.jpg]
  Re: Re: HappyH Birthday Dinner Review by losblanos1 (Great review Maryann...)
I didn't make it this time, but I have made it before and we really enjoyed it! I think I may have subbed green bell pepper because of the kids. Worked fine. Need to make again soon.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: HappyH Birthday Dinner Review by esgunn (I didn't make it thi...)
I know, we're craving it again already!

Once again, great photo, Blane. Even better than the magazine, I'm thinking...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: HappyH Birthday Dinner Review by Mare749 (I know, we're cravin...)
I don't know what I did wrong, but we did not care for this. The texture of the meat was odd. I made everything as written, so that wasn't it. I guess my dislike for coconut is not so much a texture thing like I thought.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: HappyH Birthday Dinner Review by Gourmet_Mom (I don't know what I ...)
Daphne, did the chicken texture feel "chalky"? I've noticed that before also, but I still love the flavor.
  Re: Re: HappyH Birthday Dinner Review by losblanos1 (Daphne, did the chic...)
That's it exactly....mealy.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: HappyH Birthday Dinner Review by Gourmet_Mom (That's it exactly......)
We loved the kebabs! I did add some red onion to the skewers - very nice. As far as the rice goes, the flavor was great. However, I cannot cook rice to save my life! It always comes out too soft and starchy for me. I even rinsed the starch out for a quite a while and still.......

This is why I buy frozen jasmine rice that goes in the micro - perfect every time but unless you are garnishing it with something it's hard to add much more flavor to it.
  Re: Re: HappyH Birthday Dinner Review by Trixxee (We loved the kebabs!...)
Good reviews! I hope I do get to this when things calm down a little around here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: HappyH Birthday Dinner Review by cjs (Good reviews! I hope...)
We had mixed reviews of the kabobs.
My son in law absolutely LOVED them, while everyone else agreed that the chicken was, indeed, chalky. The rice was the biggest hit…I added some coconut milk to the recipe and cooked it in a rice cooker at home, then heated it up on my tiny stove in the RV adding some pineapple juice.
Our little BBQ grill cooked the kabobs a bit unevenly and I liked the more charred pieces of chicken the best.
Thanks everyone for the Birthday greetingsSmile

[Image: P5150076.jpg][Image: P5150075.jpg]