Catering and now charging?
  Re: (...)
Okay now the boss's wife wants me to make the truffles for her upcoming gathering (50th wedding anniv. for her parents). She will pay. How much do you charge?

I am so green???
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Catering and now charging? by luvnit (Okay now the boss's ...)
Easiest would be to figure how much your time is worth hourly and charge that plus ingredients. You don't have to break it down in an invoice, just a "catering fee of...."

Congrats - you're in the business now!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Catering and now charging? by cjs (Easiest would be to ...)
Congratulations, and ditto to what Jean said. In these parts, individual desserts are usually priced by the dozen. For example, Chocolate Chip cookies will be $14.00 dz, Brownies $20.00 dz. As well, given the price of gas, if it's a drop off and not really close, there is a hefty charge.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Catering and now charging? by cjs (Easiest would be to ...)
Well thanks ladies. I have just no idea what to charge. That gives me an idea of what people are willing to pay. I don't want to gouge her, but I know my time is worth money and I am going to deliver them 20 miles from here. I am just considering everything. She is very nice. I would do it for the cost of ingredients, but my hubby doesn't think that is a good idea.

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Catering and now charging? by luvnit (Well thanks ladies. ...)
"I would do it for the cost of ingredients, but my hubby doesn't think that is a good idea." - No, don't do that - the folks who will be lining up to have you do something for them will expect it also!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Catering and now charging? by cjs ("I would do it for t...)
Costs depend a lot on what the region will bear. For example, unless they were choc chip cookies the size of a dinner plate (okay, maybe a B&B ), I could never get that price around here. PJ generously shared a link on this forum to her incredible catering offerings from school, which was very helpful for me, maybe she would share that again, or you could find it in the old posts.

But absolutely do not do it just for costs and then deliver it. Once you have started that, it is hard to all of a sudden change it. If the lady paid $20 and you got your costs out of it, then the next batch is $50 calculating the time you put into making them, the hour you spent delivering it and the wear and tear and $8 on gas that you spent delivering it, it won't set well. Give her the option of picking it up and let her decide whether her gas and time is worth the delivery charge.
  Re: Re: Catering and now charging? by iBcookin (Costs depend a lot o...)
BTW, congratulations - everyone started somewhere, and for me, it is still a learning experience, every event I do, I take something away from and you will too until you get to be the old pros that Jean and Lorraine and PJ are. But thank goodness they are here for backup and advice!
  Re: Re: Catering and now charging? by iBcookin (BTW, congratulations...)
Quote:

BTW, congratulations - everyone started somewhere, and for me, it is still a learning experience, every event I do, I take something away from and you will too until you get to be the old pros that Jean and Lorraine and PJ are. But thank goodness they are here for backup and advice!

You'll all find this a little funny. We're definately full swing into our busy season with lots of big parties and plated events. Well, all week we've been operating under the assumption that one of our many plated meals was a cold plate, for 172 people. This event needs to be out at about 10AM tomorrow. We just found out it is a hot plated meal-yikes, all those production meetings and none of us picked this up. Changes things up a bit, I still have 6 or 8 lunches to get out by noon, and now a hot plated meal for 172, on site.

Gonna be a fun day

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Catering and now charging? by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh - Oh!! Good Luck, PJ
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Catering and now charging? by cjs (Oh - Oh!! Good Luck,...)
Bless your heart, PJ! Good luck! I know you guys will knock it outta the park!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.