Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer??
  Re: (...)
There are two schools of thought on using a tomato based pizza sauce versus sliced fresh tomatoes on a Margharita pizza. Yesterday, I made both to decide for which I preferred.

(I was going to post a poll, but can't remember how to work the darn thing, so just give your opinions.... )

By a huge margin, we prefer fresh sliced (with skins removed) tomatoes over the tomato based sauce.

[Image: MagharitawfreshtomatoesApr16.jpg]

How about you pizza makers??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? by cjs (There are two school...)
I like the fresh ones, usually use cherry/grape tomatoes cut in half.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? by Lorraine (I like the fresh one...)
We've prefer sauce but it has to be the just the right combination of sweet and salty. I often wind up putting fresh tomatoes on it anyway.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? by farnfam (We've prefer sauce b...)
Both, interesting, Cis.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? by cjs (Both, interesting, C...)
I like fresh tomatoes best, too, unless the tomatoes aren't worth eating...

By the way, I just read an interesting article on Serious Eats about fried pizza. Have you every given this a try? It sounds really tasty!
  Re: Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? by karyn (I like fresh tomatoe...)
I did read about this somewhere - BUT, adding liquid smoke to the mozzarella...what an interesting idea!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? by cjs (I did read about thi...)
Quote:

I did read about this somewhere - BUT, adding liquid smoke to the mozzarella...what an interesting idea!

I like it either way as long as the fresh tomatoes have flavor. What about smoked Spanish paprika instead of liquid smoke?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? by cjs (I did read about thi...)
I like both - bur fresh tomatoes are best. The fried pie sounds intriguing - may have to try that.

I am really getting anxious to smoke some cheese - low temp smoke and a lot of ice in the smoker work so that it doesn't get dry. I wrap it in cheese cloth, put it on the top shelf, and fill the water bowl with ice, and if I have room I'll put foil pan of ice in the smoker just under the cheese.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? by Harborwitch (I like both - bur fr...)
I don't think I'll be doing any smoking of cheese - just seems like it would alter the texture too much.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Magharita Pizza - Which Do You Prefer?? by cjs (I don't think I'll b...)
Fresh gets my vote, especially for a Margherita pizza.