My Winter Projects.....
  Re: (...)
Last fall, I promised myself I would work on making marshmallows and cheese this past winter...........never did. But today, I did make Mozzarella cheese and it just tastes so good. I've made it a couple of times, but I keep forgetting how much better homemade is.
[Image: HomemadeMozz.jpg]

so, now that I've started, it is onward and upward for more cheese!!

tomorrow will be a mushroom, crab, gouda and mozz pizza!!!

Now, on to the marshmallows.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: My Winter Projects..... by cjs (Last fall, I promise...)
I have yet to try this or ricotta. Keep reminding me, I really need to do it. I just usually replace it in a recipe with Gorgonzola or something because it always just tastes like nothing to me
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: My Winter Projects..... by farnfam (I have yet to try th...)
45 minutes start to finish, Cis - work in your schedule. You won't be sorry!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Winter Projects..... by cjs (45 minutes start to ...)
And then, rice cooked in the Mozzarella Whey - so creamy wonderful!!!
[Image: RiceCookedinMozzwheyApr12.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Winter Projects..... by cjs (And then, rice cooke...)
Well, geez, cooking the rice in the leftovers would never have occurred to me - you are so clever! I always wanted to try my hand at cheese making - it's not like I don't have access to fresh milk from the farms around here.

Could i make fresh mozz and serve it in the restaurant? Anyone know?
  Re: Re: My Winter Projects..... by iBcookin (Well, geez, cooking ...)
Good question, Linda - don't see why not. We can cure meat, make sauces, etc. I would say it's the same. Anyone know for sure?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Winter Projects..... by cjs (Good question, Linda...)
Don't know for sure, but I saw it being done on Restaurant Impossible. I would think that as long as it is made on the premises it would be ok. I lent my cheese making book to a friend, and realized he never returned it. Thanks for the reminder, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: My Winter Projects..... by cjs (Good question, Linda...)
Beautiful Cheese Jean! - Did you use curds or go from scratch? I love the idea with the rice.

I was told yesterday that the pepper jelly I made at the restaurant can not be used - because no homemade pickles, jams, jellies, etc. can be served in a restaurant. I'm going to research this. Seems off kilter. I know lots of restaurants cure their own meats, make their own cheeses (not usually aged), and their own preserves. Maybe WA law is different.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: My Winter Projects..... by Harborwitch (Beautiful Cheese Jea...)
Made from scratch. WA does have some peculiar laws, I'll ask around here, also.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Winter Projects..... by cjs (Made from scratch. W...)
I have seen cheese making everywhere in the last few days! Pinterest has had ricotta and mozzarella . Also the Williams Sonoma catalogue had cheese making kits, and a seed sprouted for sprouts!

You all are what is happening!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.