What are We Growing This Year in Our Gardens?
  Re: (...)
I don't know if I'm just getting old, or if I'm just tired of taking care of a garden, but I'm sure having trouble getting in the mood this year.

The greenhouse got to 90° yesterday, so all the little seeds should be in the soil germinating right now!!

What are you all planning to grow - or I should probably say, what are you all growing this year???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What are We Growing This Year in Our Gardens? by cjs (I don't know if I'm ...)
Interesting you ask this today. William is bringing Jody home today to do that very thing. He already has the potatoes in the ground. Someone is giving him some asparagus, and I know there will be corn. I'll hve to complete the list tonight when the guys get home.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What are We Growing This Year in Our Gardens? by Gourmet_Mom (Interesting you ask ...)
Okay, the garden is now planted. Here's the list:
4 rows corn
2 rows potatoes
2 kinds of yellow squash
2 kinds of beans
Zucchini
Cucumber
Okra
Asparagus

I have sage, flat leaf parsley, and orange mint here at the house in addition to the Egyptan onion. I want to add basil, cilantro and a couple of tomato plants soon.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What are We Growing This Year in Our Gardens? by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, the garden is ...)
Heirloom tomatoes about 120+plants , maybe some melons, and maybe some squash.
  Re: Re: What are We Growing This Year in Our Gardens? by piano226 (Heirloom tomatoes ab...)
Well I'm going to acquire a Prime Time piece of a mostly-sunny-piece of land so next year I may be starting a small garden. Tomatoes will be a must.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What are We Growing This Year in Our Gardens? by BarbaraS (Well I'm going to ac...)
I'm concerned about drought in the SE, so I'm not planting much this year. I've replanted all of the herbs that needed replanted, and have some tomatoes, jalapenos, and Japanese eggplant planted, but I think that's about all I'll do. It's too hard to keep everything watered when you commute between places regularly.

Y'all sound so ambitious! I'll have to garden vicariously this year.
  Re: Re: What are We Growing This Year in Our Gardens? by karyn (I'm concerned about ...)
William called today to tell me that one of his buddies had a boatload of garlic and didn't know what to do with it. He dug up about a dozen and planted them. He's also added a couple of tomato plants and some romain lettuce. I'm excited about getting me some scapes for a pizza!
Daphne
  Re: Re: What are We Growing This Year in Our Gardens? by Gourmet_Mom (William called today...)
I am SO excited. A friend came today and tilled two plots for us. A big one, and another at the side for lettuces. I'll post tomorrow what we'll grow.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What are We Growing This Year in Our Gardens? by Lorraine (I am SO excited. A ...)
I have two tomato plants plus a cherry tomato, one more artichoke plant and some herbs. No heirlooms offered yet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What are We Growing This Year in Our Gardens? by cjs (I have two tomato pl...)
After a few years of growing mostly flowers, we've got the bug to do veggies again. We are thinking of giving container gardening a try. Found a cool design we hope to change it a bit and make it fit our space http://unsophisticook.com/giving-contain...ook%E2%84%A2%29
Tomatoes of course, eggplant would be nice, peppers and more