Cinco de Mayo
  Re: (...)
I know it's early, but thought it would be fun to post some recipes on here. And, we're thinking about having a party, too. So, hoping you will all help me out with a menu. Cis, are you there???
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Cinco de Mayo by Mare749 (I know it's early, b...)
My favorite holiday!!!! Oh boy, new ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo by cjs (My favorite holiday!...)
Oh good, it's on a Saturday this year. Well, carnitas is always the first thing that comes to my mind. How I love carnitas!
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo by Trixxee (Oh good, it's on a S...)
OH fun! Time to try out a few of those recipes that we learned at the Little Mexican Cooking School lesson. The Sopas for an appy I think. I'll go check the lesson cookbook and I'll be back
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo by farnfam (OH fun! Time to try...)
Trixxee, would you share your favorite recipe for carnitas?

Also, I'm interested in a soup recipe and something with shrimp, if anyone has any favorites to share.
Maryann

Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo by Mare749 (Trixxee, would you s...)
The cream of poblano soup was the very very best we ever had I can give you that recipe although I think I posted it once before
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo by farnfam (The cream of poblano...)
Maryann - you know it's been years (probably at least 3 or 4) since we've made carnitas. I will have to ask a friend of mine what recipe she likes - I distinctly remember her telling me she found one she loved. I seem to remember it had some orange juice in it.

I'll report back!
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo by Trixxee (Maryann - you know i...)
Here's a really delicious appetizer.

Camarones Rellenos Envueltos con Tocino
(Cheese-Stuffed Shrimp Wrapped in Bacon)
Serves 6 to 8
-- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
-- 3 chilies chipotles en adobo, finely chopped
-- 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce from the chilies
-- 1 clove garlic, minced
-- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
-- 1 tablespoon minced lime zest
-- 12 medium-thick slices lean bacon, cut in half crosswise
-- 24 large shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied with tails attached
-- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
-- 1 1/2 cups shredded Manchego, Monterey jack or other good melting cheese
-- About 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1. In a bowl or food processor, combine the mayonnaise, chilies and adobo sauce, garlic, lime juice and lime zest and stir or process to mix well.
2. Lay as many bacon slices as will fit in a single layer in a large, heavy frying pan and cook over medium-low heat until opaque but still soft, about 5 minutes. Press down with a spatula to keep the bacon flat. Transfer to absorbent paper to drain. Wipe out the pan and cook the remaining bacon in the same way.
3. Dry the shrimp with paper towels. Sprinkle with pepper and stuff with cheese. Push the sides together and wrap with cooked bacon slice, covering all the cheese so it won't melt out. If necessary, secure with a toothpick. In the same frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add a few of the bacon-wrapped shrimp and fry, turning frequently and adding more oil as needed to prevent sticking, until the bacon is browned and the shrimp are pink, about 10 minutes. Transfer to absorbent paper. Repeat until all shrimp are fried.
4. Serve the shrimp on plates and accompany with the chipotle mayonnaise.
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo by losblanos1 (Here's a really deli...)
Blaine that is going onto the menu soon!

It will depend on a bunch of stuff - am I working, will Bob cook?? I'm thinking they'll do crispy tacos with ground beef and "taco seasoning" with instant refried beans down at the restaurant.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo by losblanos1 (Here's a really deli...)
Thanks Blane. That recipe sounds delicious! And since I wanted to do something with shrimp, that might be the one.

Cis, thanks for reminding me about the poblano soup. I did copy that recipe! That would be perfect!

Thanks Trixxee, tried and true recipes are always the best.
Maryann