Review on Fish & Chip Cakes
  Re: (...)
Okay - first I had to adjust the recipe - 1lb of fish for the two of us was too much - I had 10 oz. of frozen cod and had to adjust the recipe to fit that amount.

Second - I think the Guiness is just to dark a beer for this and for a couple of "old [url=mailto:f@rts"]f@rts"[/url] it was WAY too much salt and a bit too much garlic. A nice glass of Sauv. Blanc really helps.

Third - I will try this again with fresh cod and a lighter beer. The potato chips are really salty, and the Old Bay is a bit salty so I might adjust that too. The patties were easy to handle, and it was easy - just not at the top of my list
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Review on Fish & Chip Cakes by Harborwitch (Okay - first I had t...)
And, this is from????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review on Fish & Chip Cakes by cjs (And, this is from???...)
Page nine, issue 92 of C@H.
  Re: Re: Review on Fish & Chip Cakes by cjs (And, this is from???...)
"Old Bay is a bit salty"??? Who are you speaking of? Do I resemble that remark??
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Review on Fish & Chip Cakes by Old Bay ("Old Bay is a bit sa...)
Thank you for the review and tips. I agree with you on the Guiness, it's a very strong flavored beer.
  Re: Re: Review on Fish & Chip Cakes by Old Bay ("Old Bay is a bit sa...)
Quote:

"Old Bay is a bit salty"??? Who are you speaking of? Do I resemble that remark??

LOL

Blaine I almost think the beer was over the top - I might try just poaching the fish in water seasoned with the "Old Bay" ( ) and not add the seasoning to the fish mixture.
  Re: Re: Review on Fish & Chip Cakes by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I should probably keep still since I've not made the recipe, but...........imo (ONLY), I dislike anything poached, I would roast the fish myself (high temp) Maybe marinate it in some lighter (if you object to the Guiness) beer for an hour.

I may have to make this one, too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review on Fish & Chip Cakes by cjs (I should probably ke...)
Jean, I think roasting would be a great idea! If I really think about this I think any leftover (planned over?) white fish that has been cooked anyway other than poaching in Guinness (d@mn waste of good beer! ).

I am also thinking Tim's Cascade Salt & Vinegar chips might have been better than Lays. This recipe has really got me bugged because it sounded so good. I keep trying to think of ways to make it work. Potato flakes or buds in place of part of the chips???? Jean it's worth playing with!