Substituting fresh tomatoes for canned?
  Re: (...)
Given the amount of liquid in a can of tomatoes, using fresh tomatoes, instead of canned, cannot be as simple as just using an amount of fresh tomatoes equal to the weight of the canned (drained or undrained). Most recipes that call for canned tomatoes also say to USE the juice, so using fresh tomatoes would have to involve stewing and/or puréeing some of them to make up for the amount of juice in the can.

Do any of you have any good conversion factors, USABLE FOR MEASURED RECIPES, for substituting fresh tomatoes in place of canned?

After searching the web for a while, I found a number of opinions, but the discussions mostly devolved into "Oh, but canned tomatoes are SO much better and reliable." I DON'T CARE! That is NOT the point, nor my question.

In this third-world country in which I live, canned tomatoes are much more expensive than fresh, so I try to avoid them, if possible.

With most things - especially things I just throw together, quantities aren't that important and I've mostly just "eyeballed" everything. Some recipes, however, DO specify actual amounts of drained or (more commonly) undrained canned tomatoes and I'd like to try to come up with a closer approximation to what those quantities would be.

Do any of you have any helpful hints for this?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Substituting fresh tomatoes for canned? by labradors (Given the amount of ...)
One thing for sure is blanch them and then skin them. Fresh tomato skins can be a bit chewy. I would also seed them then cook them a bit to soften them. To be honest I would blanch, skin, seed and weigh them. Add just enough water to make it about 15oz and cook it down. I'm guessing 3-4 per 14oz.
  Re: Re: Substituting fresh tomatoes for canned? by DFen911 (One thing for sure i...)
Not the least scientific Labs, but I normally do one of two things. One, 90% of dishes calling for tomatoes, the amount of liquid doesn't really affect the dish (if result is too liquidy, I just cook a little longer). When it does matter, say 28 oz. of tomatoes with juice is called for, I rough chop approx. 2 1/2 cups of tomatoes and add 1 cup of water or stock, depending.

Don't know if the above will help you at all, but that's what I do. Keep in mind I do know that only milk, water, eggs are 8 oz. = 1 cup - but, above still works for me.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com