Anyone Ever Cook Mountain Oysters?
  Re: (...)
I grew up eating these - my mom loved cooking them for company dinners and she would also have a platter of fried chicken for the faint-of-heart.

Houseboat Don is coming up the 22nd and bringing some for us. I've never cooked them myself - I know mom breaded and fried them, but has anyone fixed them in some manner they really like?? Tried & true - I can google for ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Anyone Ever Cook Mountain Oysters? by cjs (I grew up eating the...)
I've only had them breaded and fried. Usually served with French fried potatoes. A garden type salad was also common, condiments were pickles, jalapenos, onion slices. Cole slaw was also a periodic side. I liked them once a year at calf cutting time.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Anyone Ever Cook Mountain Oysters? by Old Bay (I've only had them b...)
So far, no, but have always wondered about trying them. Here, they're available right out in the open in the same area where the supermarket has already packaged ground beef, ground pork, etc. It's not even necessary to make a special order.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Anyone Ever Cook Mountain Oysters? by labradors (So far, no, but have...)
Sorry, the only time I ever had them was with you and Billy, breaded and fried.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Anyone Ever Cook Mountain Oysters? by Lorraine (Sorry, the only time...)
And what a hoot that was, Lorraine!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anyone Ever Cook Mountain Oysters? by cjs (And what a hoot that...)
Oh, how I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one, Jean!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Anyone Ever Cook Mountain Oysters? by Mare749 (Oh, how I wish I cou...)
Okay, I've gotta ask....are you referring to the item I know of as Rocky Mountain Oysters? I've only ever had them as a by-product of round-up (turning a bull into a steer to be specific) at my uncle's ranch. There they are grilled over oak logs. I was told they had to be very fresh to be edible!
  Re: Re: Anyone Ever Cook Mountain Oysters? by karyn (Okay, I've gotta ask...)
Yes, but we always fried them. They have to be fresh--there is definitly a season!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Anyone Ever Cook Mountain Oysters? by Old Bay (Yes, but we always f...)
EEEEEWWWWWW! All I have to say on this subject. LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anyone Ever Cook Mountain Oysters? by Gourmet_Mom (EEEEEWWWWWW! All I ...)
Oh c'mon, Daphne - when first we meet, lady.................. These I'm gettng are frozen, so I'm guessing they will be fine. finger's crossed. Hmmmm, grilled - I sure hope he brings a lot of them!!!!
www.achefsjourney.com