recipe for corned beef
  Re: Re: My Experience with the recipe by labradors (Wow! Sorry you had ...)
Labs, I don't think Old Man was referring to your recipe. I think he was referring to the Cuisine "Classic corned beef".
  Re: Re: My Experience with the recipe by losblanos1 (Labs, I don't think ...)
Quote:

Labs, I don't think Old Man was referring to your recipe. I think he was referring to the Cuisine "Classic corned beef".

I agree Labs, your explanation, and recipe is the application of Occams Razor to this delimma. So be it.

Oh, Old Bay welcomes Old Man--it can be a lot of fun here!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: My Experience with the recipe by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I never thought he was referring to my recipe. That's why my message differentiated by saying "the recipe I posted above" to show the contrast.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: My Experience with the recipe by labradors (I never thought he w...)
Well, hell - now I'm dubious about using C@H's method. I usually use two different versions. Charcuterie's and/or an old one that I love, Attie's version.

Nice price for a whole brisket - $4.79/lb from Safeway. I decided to get two so I can play with some pastrami (which I'm starting today) in addition to corning.

Thanks for your review, Old Man, I think, but now you have me thinking - and welcome to the forum.

Here's Attie's recipe that I love so much -

Attie remembering: “I worked in an Irish place for a while and we developed a pretty tasty and easy method for doing a kick-[censored] corned beef. When it's done, remove the meat to a rack of some sort and allow to rest and cool for a little while. The cooking liquid can then be strained, defatted and used to cook the remainder of the boiled dinner, thickened as a gravy or sauce, or just used as a jus. Good luck!”

Attie’s Corned Beef

Lay your brisket in a deep hotel pan. If the meat is too big, cut it into more manageable pieces. Then, discard the seasoning mix, if one's included. Next, throw in a couple chopped onions, a couple handfuls of garlic cloves, some whole peppercorns and a couple bay leaves. Next, in a mixing bowl, mix about half a gallon of dark beer (a good brown or stout works well) with a cup of molasses and half cup brown sugar, and pour over the meat till about 2/3 covered (supplement with water if needed). Cover tightly with foil and throw into a 350-400°F. oven. For 12 lbs. of beef, it could take upwards of 6-7 hours to cook, but start checking after about 4 hours. You want the beef at an internal temperature of 200°F. I know that may sound overcooked, but the brisket is full of tough connective tissue that won't break down until it gets to around 200°F. At that point, it'll be fork tender.

CJ’s note: Well that’s the recipe my old friend from Australia sent me. I’ve refined it a bit and this is the best corned beef I’ve ever tasted and the house smells just wonderful while it’s cooking.

Approximately a 2 1/2 lb. corned beef.
1 onion
3 cloves garlic, smashed
10-12 black peppercorns
1 Bay leaf
2 11-oz. bottles of Guinness Draught (may be a little more than needed, but we all agreed more beer can’t hurt)
1/3 cup molasses
2 T. brown sugar

I cooked mine at 375°F. After 4 hours the internal temperature had reached 210°F and was very tender. Thanks Attie, I’ve never had a better corned beef and Muenster sandwich in my life.

-----

Well, I have almost 2 weeks to decide which way to go...... I'll probably go with Charcuterie's brining and Attie's finish
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Experience with the recipe by cjs (Well, hell - now I'm...)
Thank you, next time it will be Attie’s Corned Beef.
  Re: Re: My Experience with the recipe by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Greetings Old Bay and thank you for your welcome.

I really enjoy the Cuisine magazine - lots of knowledge and great ideas.

I prepared the 'Classic Corned Beef' for my dinner guests. I informed them about this 5 day recipe and ask for their comments (before I gave my opinion). They know me well and do not hold back. They are able to distinguish the difference between my cooking skills vs. the recipe (resulting flavors).

I look forward to future Cuisine recipes and the enjoyment of prep and results.
  Re: Thank you by Old_Man (Greetings Old Bay an...)
"I look forward to future Cuisine recipes and the enjoyment of prep and results." - and please, plan on sharing with us also prepping and results!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Experience with the recipe by labradors (Wow! Sorry you had ...)
Tea-infuser ball - you're right. I have one and will start using it!
  Re: Re: My Experience with the recipe by Old_Man (Tea-infuser ball - y...)
BTW, Jean, that recipe link I posted does say that their recipe was "adapted from Charcuterie. That's probably why it works so well. Now that I actually have the book, I'll need to compare the recipe at that link with the book to see how they "adapted" it.

Oh. One more thing: the brisket I get? $1.95/LB!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: My Experience with the recipe by labradors (BTW, Jean, that reci...)
"the brisket I get? $1.95/LB!" braggart!!!
www.achefsjourney.com