Porgy Fish??? Know of it?
  Re: (...)
Does anyone know of Porgy fish? Evidently it’s mostly found on the east coast, but there is also a type known as Pacific Porgy and fished off the Mexican coast and Baja, CA

[Image: prgysnow002b.jpg]

A boney fish, “but wonderfully loose-textured white flesh that flakes into large pieces when properly cooked”. . Size approximately 15 inches and 5 pounds and was an average fighter.

Sounds like a tasty fish.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Porgy Fish??? Know of it? by cjs (Does anyone know of ...)
Never heard of it, but more and more unknowns are showing up in the fish counter these days as the usuals are becoming harder to keep in stock. I'll ask my chef tomorrow, though.

He's a lot younger than me.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Porgy Fish??? Know of it? by pjcooks (Never heard of it, b...)
I think my brother calls it scup and throws it back. I will have to check with him to be sure.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Porgy Fish??? Know of it? by chef_Tab (I think my brother c...)
I got a book from the library this week - Melissa Clark's "In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite" and in it she talks about how she loves this fish. Caught my interest.

By the way, old dog - new tricks. I heard about a confit she does and before I would have immediately run to buy the book (and hope I could get it used), but this time I checked the library and they had it. So, I copied the recipe I wanted and a few others and now they can have it back.

I'm so proud of myself.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Porgy Fish??? Know of it? by cjs (I got a book from th...)
Isn't the library just wonderful? I go to mine just about every week. It helps me decide if I really want to "own" a book before buying it.

Went to an asian grocery yesterday, (not my usual) and they had a huge freezer section with all kinds of fish that I've never heard of. They had Porgy, so I tried to inquire about it, but the clerk didn't understand and just kept telling me to "deep-fry it whole." It was surprisingly inexpensive, $2.99 a lb., so maybe I"ll try it sometime.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Porgy Fish??? Know of it? by Mare749 (Isn't the library ju...)
Quote:

but the clerk didn't understand

We have this problem all the time at our Asian Market. I needed Black vinegar this week, but Great Grandma spoke no English. She was, however, very adept at using her IPhone.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Porgy Fish??? Know of it? by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Lorraine, that was so funny!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Porgy Fish??? Know of it? by Gourmet_Mom (Lorraine, that was s...)
I thought so too!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Porgy Fish??? Know of it? by Mare749 (I thought so too! [i...)
Porgy is on sale at one of our stores this week. If we get there, I'd love to buy some and try it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Porgy Fish??? Know of it? by Lorraine (Porgy is on sale at ...)
I'd sure like to try it, also.
www.achefsjourney.com