salad with beets from December 2009
  Re: (...)
Hi I am trying to find a salad recipe that was in the December 2009 issue. One of the main ingredients in the salad is beets. thank you.
  Re: salad with beets from December 2009 by chalupe (Hi I am trying to fi...)
Is this it? roasted parsnip, butternut squash salad, 84:21

This is from December 2010.
  Re: Re: salad with beets from December 2009 by HomeCulinarian (Is this it? roasted ...)
Welcome to the forum, chalupe - one of us will be glad to post the recipe for you if you need help with it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: salad with beets from December 2009 by HomeCulinarian (Is this it? roasted ...)
I don't have all the ingredients since a friend made it but I know it had beets in it.
  Re: Re: salad with beets from December 2009 by chalupe (I don't have all the...)
Welcome to the forum chalupe! Here is a salad with beets from that issue that might be the one you are looking for. Hope you will come back and give your review. I added the notes for the pomegranate prep at the end as I think it is helpful.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ensalada de Nochebuena with Pomegranate-lime Vinaigrette

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons pomegranate juice
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and black pepper -- to taste

1 bag mixed greens 5-6 oz.
1 1/4 cups sliced cooked beets
2 ruby red grapefruit -- peeled and segmented
1 red apple, such as Pink Lady or Braeburn -- diced
1 cup jicama -- julienned
1/2 cup pomegranate arils

Whisk together oil, pomegranate juice, lime juice, sugar, and cayenne for the vinaigrette in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.

Combine greens, beets, grapefruit, apple, jicama, and pomegranate arils in a large bowl.

Add cilantro to the vinaigrette just before tossing with the salad. Serve salad immediately.

Pomegranate prep
Getting to the pomegranate arils can seem a bit like a labor of love. Follow a few simple steps, and you'll be enjoying their sweet juice in no time. Keep in mind that pomegranate juice stains, so take special care to avoid too much mess.

Slice off the crown end of the fruit. Score the rind around the fruit, then break the fruit apart at the score lines.

Place the pieces in a large bowl of cold water and gently roll out the arils or seeds and the white membrane. Remove and discard the white membrane that floats to the top, then drain the arils in a strainer and they're ready to use.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home, Issue #78, December 2009, page 11"

Re: Re: salad with beets from December 2009 by Mare749 (Welcome to the forum...)
thank you very much. My husband loved this when we went to our friends for dinner.
  Re: Re: salad with beets from December 2009 by chalupe (thank you very much....)
That sounds good, and possibly familiar!
  Re: Re: salad with beets from December 2009 by HomeCulinarian (That sounds good, an...)
You are very welcome, chalupe. It looks like an outstanding salad and one that I will probably make for a special dinner some night.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."