Okay, Who Came Up With These !@#! Measurements?
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I'm trying to do that Onion Gratin dish tonight and it calls for "4 Cups" of white onion, "3 Large Onions". Well, I picked up two white onions the size of softballs and that's definitely more than 4 cups.

What gives? If it's a measure of a diced veggie, I can handle that, but when it comes to sliced root veggies, I'm at a loss. Does the measurement refer to raw or cooked proportions?

HELP!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Okay, Who Came Up With These !@#! Measurements? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I'm ...)
Sorry, Barbara, that's my recipe and I agree I have not spent enough time getting it a specific size/weight/measurement. I apologize. I should do it again and weigh the onion slices - it is before cooking.

I think you are good to go with the two that are softball size - it really is a forgiving recipe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Okay, Who Came Up With These !@#! Measurements? by cjs (Sorry, Barbara, that...)
Aw Jean,

Please don't apologize - I just thought that 3 onions would be too much! After I've cooked down 1 and 1/4, I needed to add more. Size references for root veggies for ALL recipes would be helpful!

As for a casserole dish, I'm lacking. Time to buy a 1 1/2 quart dish! I'm using a 2Q and I hope that doesn't screw up the result. I love carmelized onions and when I make the Onion Soup Gratinee, I have to put in one or two extra onions for the toppings as I cannot resist snatching tastes. Oooo weee!!

We're excited to be doing your recipe tonight - it's looking great already!

Thanks so much!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Okay, Who Came Up With These !@#! Measurements? by BarbaraS (Aw Jean,[br][br]Plea...)
Hope you do like the dish, but it won't be a caramelized onion dish, just a creamy, wonderful oniony delight!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com