Buttermilk-Toasted Walnut French Toast
  Re: (...)
Who knew how good buttermilk batter was for French toast??

Buttermilk-Toasted Walnut French Toast with Tobin James Ballistic Zin

1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
5 eggs
1 T. granulated sugar
2 T. all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
Pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla (or rum, Bailey’s, Cointreau, Frangelico, Chambord, Crème de Cassis, Grand Marnier, etc.)
10 1-inch slices day old bread
toasted chopped walnut

Combine, layer bread, walnuts in a baking dish and pour batter over all. Refrigerate overnight, then bake.

And, who knew how good French toast would be with Tobin James Ballistic Zin!!!!! Served with bacon, maple syrup and/or pineapple Chutney with a tad of Sweet Chili Sauce. It’s fun being retired and having the main meal mid-day – although, after a bottle of wine, it’s sure hard to get back in the ‘work’ mode.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Buttermilk-Toasted Walnut French Toast by cjs (Who knew how good bu...)
Wow!! This looks so good! Hubby said he'd love this for breakfast, then I told him I'd make it for him the first snow day we get and then he said it won't snow this winter because he issued an edict to that effect.

You see, he's assemblying a temporary (yeah, right, that ain't coming down easily) garage for my WS06 Trans Am. Essentially, I call that car "The Beast" and he's making a "Snow Fort" for it. We bought a GMC Acadia for me to drive around in for the times I don't drive The Beast. We call the Acadia "The Snow Beast" since it solves my winter driving dilemmas and our renting-a-car-instead-of-driving-the-23'-long-Truck on vacations. Hubby's too tall to fit into the Trans Am. And I have literally seen valets run and hide when we drive up in that truck. But hey, he's a Truck Man!

Thanks for the recipe. I need to hit the liquor stores for some half-size bottles of those liquors.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Buttermilk-Toasted Walnut French Toast by BarbaraS (Wow!! This looks so...)
Well crap! I should make him this when he completes the Snow Fort. Such work!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Buttermilk-Toasted Walnut French Toast by BarbaraS (Well crap! I should...)
Yes, Barbara, you should!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Buttermilk-Toasted Walnut French Toast by cjs (Yes, Barbara, you sh...)
This looks really good, Jean. I wish we could have brunch sometime. Maybe a breakfast for dinner one night.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Buttermilk-Toasted Walnut French Toast by Gourmet_Mom (This looks really go...)
That was our dinner - We love breakfast for dinner!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Buttermilk-Toasted Walnut French Toast by cjs (That was our dinner ...)
Sounds fantastic and a great way to use up that last cup of buttermilk that winds up getting tossed! But I wanted a picture. Wahh!
  Re: Buttermilk-Toasted Walnut French Toast by cjs (Who knew how good bu...)
Jean, you must have posted this before, because I used to make it for Christmas. Delicious!
PJ
  Re: Re: Buttermilk-Toasted Walnut French Toast by pjcooks (Jean, you must have ...)
Sounds delicious, but does it get nice and brown? That's the only problem Ron would have with this, so not sure if he would like it as much as he likes the slices fried on a hot skillet.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Buttermilk-Toasted Walnut French Toast by Mare749 (Sounds delicious, bu...)
Yes, it was brown and wonderfully crusty. PJ, I very well could have done this before, but I sure don't remember and I was feeling so experimental to have thought of it this week. (and if I didn't do it before, why haven't you shared this with us??)
www.achefsjourney.com