What's for Sunday Dinner, 1/8??
  Re: (...)
What's on everyone's menu for today?

Maryann got me craving a Patty Melt, so we'll have that today with a salad.

P.S. By the way - Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was a super movie. The little gal who play Lizbeth was just outstanding.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 1/8?? by cjs (What's on everyone's...)
The patty melts turned out really well too. The 18 hour whole grain bread is more dense than white, which made it easier to cut thinner slices. Also put some carmelized onions and swiss cheese on the burger before grilling. This would be good made with a turkey burger too.

Tonight's dinner will be chicken, but haven't decided what to do with it yet. Thinking of doing oven-fried. Haven't had that in quite a while. Maybe some roasted veggies...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 1/8?? by Mare749 (The patty melts turn...)
Oh boy, these were so good - thanks for bringing them up, Maryann, it's bee foreever since we've had a Patty Melt!
[Image: PerfectPattyMeltJan8.jpg]

and, this one was a real purist patty melt - rye bread, caramelized onions, Swiss cheese and a patty cooked just med. rare. Oh boy!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 1/8?? by cjs (Oh boy, these were s...)
That Patty melt looks delicious! Gooey cheese goodness.
Tonight it's Turkey Empanadas with a side of Carnival slaw.
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 1/8?? by losblanos1 (That Patty melt look...)
Leftovers...lots of leftovers

Jean...that onion gratin - HIT!!! Omg that thing is SOOOO good
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 1/8?? by DFen911 (Leftovers...lots of ...)
That onion gratin was a huge hit here as well. I made it for New Years Day and every bit of it disappeared. Everyone kept asking me what this new dish was called and where I got the recipe.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 1/8?? by Mare749 (That onion gratin wa...)
What I now want is a patty melt. What we're having is grilled salmon, salad and brown rice. BORING.
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 1/8?? by Trixxee (What I now want is a...)
"and where I got the recipe" - and...did you tell them page 107????????

"BORING" - oh but, think how svelte you're going to look for vacation, Trixxee....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 1/8?? by cjs ("and where I got the...)
Ha! Check your FB post Jean. Guess what we're having for lunch now? Tony's on his way to the store.
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 1/8?? by Mare749 (That onion gratin wa...)
Did a search for Onion Gratin - is this it?

Onion Gratin

4 cups onions -- sliced (3 large white)
5 T. butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425°

Sauté the onions in butter until transparent and place in a buttered 1 1/2-qt. au gratin dish or flat casserole.

Beat eggs until light; add sour cream and salt & pepper and combine; pour over onions and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top begins to brown. Serves 8

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.