Turkey Cooking Time
  Re: (...)
So a couple of posters said their Thanksgiving turkey cooked faster than they thought it should. We have a 5 lb 3 oz turkey breast that I want to stuff. Should I figure 20 minutes per pound at 350? I don't get to cook turkey very often - this is like the 4th time I've done so in my life, believe it or not!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Turkey Cooking Time by BarbaraS (So a couple of poste...)
I'd cook it until it hits a bit over 160, tent and let the carry-over cooking bring it up. The stuffing part throws me a bit. I don't stuff the bird anymore. I'm sure someone will come along with a better answer!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Turkey Cooking Time by Harborwitch (I'd cook it until it...)
I get the done temp, but I've been reading varying cooking times. That's what I really need to know.

And I've decided not to stuff it now, so I imagine that will cut the time quite a bit.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Turkey Cooking Time by BarbaraS (I get the done temp,...)
Unstuffed, Barbara, at 325° should take about 2 hours - hope that helps. But, tented, it will hold nicely for an hour or two, so you can finish rest of dinner.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Turkey Cooking Time by cjs (Unstuffed, Barbara, ...)
Thanks Jean and Sharon! It's a Shady Brook and it does have a "built-in timer" (we have a different term for this ), and the packaging says 1 3/4 @ 325. So I'll plan on 2 hours with 10-15 minutes of rest. Plus, it'll be cooking in the "big" oven so I think it may cook faster with it's only companion being the stuffing I made.

BTW, Santa gave me one of those Gel-Pro mats... AWESOME!!! I wish I could re-floor my whole kitchen with them!!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Turkey Cooking Time by BarbaraS (Thanks Jean and Shar...)
Quote:

Thanks Jean and Sharon! It's a Shady Brook and it does have a "built-in timer" (we have a different term for this ), and the packaging says 1 3/4 @ 325. So I'll plan on 2 hours with 10-15 minutes of rest. Plus, it'll be cooking in the "big" oven so I think it may cook faster with it's only companion being the stuffing I made.

BTW, Santa gave me one of those Gel-Pro mats... AWESOME!!! I wish I could re-floor my whole kitchen with them!!

Barbara

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Turkey Cooking Time by BarbaraS (Thanks Jean and Shar...)
Quote:

Gel-Pro mats... AWESOME

What a great gift!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Turkey Cooking Time by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
My granddaughter gave me one a couple years ago and I love mine, too!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com