Why did my turkeys cook so fast?
  Re: (...)
I mentioned this on the Turkey Day post. I put 2 cold turkeys, unstuffed, (separate pans), one 13.35#, the other, 16#, in a cold oven. Set to 325. plugged in remote thermo, (breast of smaller one) set for 155. This was at 11:05. Planned on gauging doneness from that point. Figured maybe 4.5 hours cooking time, maybe longer because there were 2 turkeys. Anyways, the darn things were at 155 in 2 hrs, so I let them cook a little longer. Pulled them half an hour later when breasts were 160. The thighs on the bigger turkey had to go back in for half an hour.

Talked to my chefs about it today. We're clueless. I had everything going against me, 2 turkeys squeezed in an oven, cold everything.

Checked oven temp, yup, 325. A remote, a digital and a dial thermo all read the same. Checked my oven temp with a new oven thermo and it's right on.

Pulled at 1:30, dinner at 5. Pulled it off with a little nervousness (I held the turkeys in a cooler, well wrapped)and served them at 155 degrees. At 5:15.

Any ideas?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Why did my turkeys cook so fast? by pjcooks (I mentioned this on ...)
That's weird. It seems impossible.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Why did my turkeys cook so fast? by Gourmet_Mom (That's weird. It se...)
So everyone says. I was lucky to have one of my kids here to verify I wasn't reading things wrong. And witness my mini meltdown...

PJ
PJ
  Re: Why did my turkeys cook so fast? by pjcooks (I mentioned this on ...)
Big Bones? Thin meat? Twilight Zone?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Why did my turkeys cook so fast? by BarbaraS (Big Bones? Thin mea...)
Quote:

Big Bones? Thin meat? Twilight Zone?

Barbara

Perhaps Picky is pulling a Gaslight on me and secretly had microwave capabilities built into my oven.........

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Why did my turkeys cook so fast? by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Wow, even tho the turkeys were on the smaller side, you'd think it would take longer than that. How interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Why did my turkeys cook so fast? by cjs (Wow, even tho the tu...)
Did you have a fan on, or if you have a convection oven was that setting activated?
  Re: Re: Why did my turkeys cook so fast? by DFen911 (Did you have a fan o...)
Global warming?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Why did my turkeys cook so fast? by Old Bay (Global warming?...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Why did my turkeys cook so fast? by cjs ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
We had the same issue here with the turkeys for Thanksgiving dinner. Very strange. Then the 4th turkey Monday was really strange. The breast, wings, legs, thighs were all done - but all the meat on the back was still raw. Strange birds this year??????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!