Does Butter Really Need To Be Refrigerated?
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I usually leave a stick of butter in a covered butter dish out on the counter unless it is really hot outside and in. I really don't think much of it.

But due to some family drama, I left a nice little tub of D'Artangnan Truffle Butter out for about 20 hours, seal unbroken. I had left it out to thaw as I usually keep these in the freezer. Hubby says I should toss it, but I'm reluctant to do so. Should I? What would you do?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Does Butter Really Need To Be Refrigerated? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I us...)
I think it will go rancid eventually but I think 20 hrs at room temp is ok--smell it, if it passes the smell test I would use it.
Oleo is a different ballgame --you can leave it out a month and nothing changes--insects won't eat it, ants go around it, it never goes bad--it started that way--it will outlive teflon!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Does Butter Really Need To Be Refrigerated? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I us...)
Oh man, after my episode last week, I'd say dump it. Whenever you introduce foreign ingredients to a product you are playing with fire as far as bacteria growing.

I hate to say it, but that's what I would do. Maybe someone who is not as skittish as I will differ.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Does Butter Really Need To Be Refrigerated? by cjs (Oh man, after my epi...)
Normally, for just plain butter, no, but I'm not sure what he truffles add to the equation. If there's any garlic in it, definitely throw it out, since garlic in an oil (butter's close enough) can develop the toxin for botulism if not acidified and/or refrigerated.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Does Butter Really Need To Be Refrigerated? by cjs (Oh man, after my epi...)
My Motto is "When in doubt, throw it out". NO questionable food is worth my families health.
  Re: Re: Does Butter Really Need To Be Refrigerated? by losblanos1 (My Motto is "When in...)
Plain butter I wouldn't worry about so much, but with truffles I would be afraid to use it. Is there a 1-800 number you could call? My daughter obtained useful advice concerning product safety by doing that.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Does Butter Really Need To Be Refrigerated? by Mare749 (Plain butter I would...)
The FDA has a website with a section on food safety, maybe there's something about compound butter?
  Re: Re: Does Butter Really Need To Be Refrigerated? by losblanos1 (The FDA has a websit...)
Good idea, Maryann. In addition to the FDA site that Blaine mentioned, the label on the product, itself, may have a phone number or web address where you could find out.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Does Butter Really Need To Be Refrigerated? by labradors (Good idea, Maryann. ...)
No butter does not need to be refrigerated. I use a butter bell 100% of the time unless I "need" chilled butter for sauces. I sits on my counter all the time and never had any issues at all.
  Re: Re: Does Butter Really Need To Be Refrigerated? by DFen911 (No butter does not n...)
This is not an ordinary butter, it contains truffles. Truffles are a fungi?