Need Help for Catering Job
  Re: (...)
Later this month I'm again making something to donate to the fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity. Nothing fancy, they pick it up from me and do all the serving themselves. So, with this criteria in mind, I need some new ideas. (think cheap and dirty - need to make for 100 servings)

I've always done savory dishes before (and wouldn't mind going that direction again), but maybe some bars or brownies that might wow them all.

I'll go thru C@H Christmas books also.............. thanks for any help.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Need Help for Catering Job by cjs (Later this month I'm...)
Jean, wasn't there some kind of a tiramisu dessert in a recent issue? What about Nutella cookies? Do you prefer individual servings?

Two ideas that just popped into my head. What about a couple big bowls of your favorite coleslaw. Our favorite is a sweet and sour Asian style.

Or a couple pans of chili rellenos with "scoops" on the side. (I'm hungry for Mexican food today)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Jean something we love and would be different would be a green chili (roasted poblonos) cheesecake.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Need Help for Catering Job by Old Bay (Jean something we lo...)
The Corn Salad with scoops? Mini cupcakes, brownies made in mini muffin tins.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Need Help for Catering Job by Harborwitch (The Corn Salad with ...)
Went back and read slower -
"What about Nutella cookies? Do you prefer individual servings?"

will look at the Nutella recipe. Yes, since I'm not going to be there and have no idea how they would serve something, individual servings are the best way to go.

Again, since I'm not going to be there, scoops scare me - too much chance of double dipping. And don't really want to spend the money for individual tiny cups.

"brownies made in mini muffin tins. " like that.

Thanks for the ideas so far.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
How about mini S'mores cupcakes? The recipe has a couple of shortcuts to reduce your time in the kitchen (one involves nutella ). It's in the August 2011 issue. They are delicious.
How about Texas brownies? Makes half a sheet at a time, pour warm frosting over while it's still warm, and let it cool. You probably have the same recipe I do, happy to post if you don't.

Savory, did a "cheap and dirty" BBQ last weekend for 225-made a tri-colored tortellini salad with lots of grilled veg-read lots of zukes and summer squash, a little red bell pepper-with a half gallon of purchased dressing, some shredded parm. Or any cheese would work. Lots of herbs help punch it up.

Another idea is to provide a big bowl of greens with a roasted veg platter, a bowl of shredded cheese on the side. I never have any leftovers when I do this one. Really good with small bowls of chipotle lime mayo and a flavored mustard, like rosemary horseradish.

A favorite show stopper is the Death by Chocolate trifle, although this one requires bowls of some sort, I use, well, trifle bowls. Simple-layers of chocolate syrup, brownie pieces, chocolate pudding, whipped something(the fake Rich's works best here), and Heath bar bits.

Hope this helps get the juices flowing!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Need Help for Catering Job by Old Bay (Jean something we lo...)
Quote:

Jean something we love and would be different would be a green chili (roasted poblonos) cheesecake.

This one sure caught my eye! Would you mind posting the recipe? My family would love this.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Need Help for Catering Job by pjcooks (How about Texas brow...)
Quote:

How about Texas brownies?

Just make sure you stay away from California brownies.

Oh, wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :giggle:

LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Need Help for Catering Job by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Wow, great ideas. Thanks all. You know they are all copied and will certainly show up in a catering event one day, if not this one.
www.achefsjourney.com