what is your favorite skillet for frying eggs
  Re: (...)
Mine is a non-stick, probably 8 inch, got it from Sam's club. I use it a lot, but Ron isn't crazy about it. So, I'm looking for one just for him to fry his eggs on the weekend. Need one that won't stick, yet he doesn't like non-stick pans. What to do?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: what is your favorite skillet for frying eggs by Mare749 (Mine is a non-stick,...)
8-inch nonstick - that Ron isn't crazy about..... he doesn't like the results of frying the egg, or the flavor, or?????????

I use nonstick or regular whichever is handiest, but my non-nonstick is All-Clad fry pan which I'm sure makes a difference. My non-stick are Smart & Final/Cash & Carry products. I love them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: what is your favorite skillet for frying eggs by cjs (8-inch nonstick - th...)
I don't fry a lot of eggs, so I'm not much help with this one.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: what is your favorite skillet for frying eggs by Gourmet_Mom (I don't fry a lot of...)
Cast iron hands down! To me it's a 'fried' egg unless bacon drippings are utilized. I used to use a non-stick about 20 years ago, but do not like the rubbery feeling the eggs get when cooked on it. A good seasoned cast iron pan is non-stick, and better to me that standard non stick. I don't like that on standard no-stick pans that coating is always coming up into your food over the years.

Oh the best egg ever? Ok take a small, very shallow cast iron skillet. Like ones they used to make individual cookie desserts. Put it in the oven with a 1 tbl bacon drippings at around 400. When it's hot, (about 15 min) pull it out and break the egg on it, grate a bit of asiago cheese on the top or put a 2 tbl salsa on top and put it back in the oven for about 3 min. Oven fried egg.
  Re: Re: what is your favorite skillet for frying eggs by DFen911 (Cast iron hands down...)
Denise, you are so right! And that egg sounds so good, and I don't really care for runny eggs!

Williams's grandmother used to use an electric skillet. She'd use enough bacon grease to slosh the grease over the egg for an over easy type egg. Freaked me out to see her do it the first time. It took a while to tell her I preferred mine scrambled.
Daphne
  Re: Re: what is your favorite skillet for frying eggs by Gourmet_Mom (Denise, you are so r...)
Daphne, we called that a basted egg....

I don't fry eggs anymore, either.
  Re: Re: what is your favorite skillet for frying eggs by Gourmet_Mom (Denise, you are so r...)
Denise is right - if my little cast iron was in a better position in the kitchen, it would be the one to grab. (better move it out here)

One word of warning tho, if you have to buy a new cast iron, go to an antique shop rather than buying a new one. The new generation of cast iron has little pimples on the bottome (for what reason, I can't imagine!!) and you don't have the smooth beautiful finish.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: what is your favorite skillet for frying eggs by cjs (Denise is right - if...)
Yes what Jean said! I got my first one at an estate sale. My second one (which is very large) I bought used and sanded the bottom and reseasoned it for 4 days before using it. It's sooo perfect now
  Re: Re: what is your favorite skillet for frying eggs by cjs (Denise is right - if...)
A little off topic, but William found a little Dutch oven in the barn. It was in bad shape, but a friend took it and made it look brand new. It was really old. This is the second one Donnie has restored.
Daphne
  Re: Re: what is your favorite skillet for frying eggs by HomeCulinarian (Daphne, we called th...)
Quote:

Daphne, we called that a basted egg....

I don't fry eggs anymore, either.

I just use a non stick 8 inch--a lot of bacon grease--break the egg into a cup and then into the pan--flip grease over the egg with a spatula until a white film forms---serve next to grits--break the yellow and let it flow into the grits--mix and cover with a little salt and a lot of fresh ground pepper--we call that a "blindfolded" egg--it's not looking at you--but delicious in its runny goodness!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".