Way OT, 2 funny things
  Re: (...)
Friday night we did a Rehearsal Party at the winery. He was manning the Carving Station, I'm in the kitchen doing the passed apps and mini desserts. A waitstaff comes in and says "Lorraine, you have to go and see the man with a parrot on his shoulder". I'm thinking she's joking with me. Another waitstaff comes in and says the same thing. I'm thinking it's a stuffed parrot. Turns out one guest brought his huge, live green parrot. Two of the waitstaff are petrified of birds, so I'm thinking he didn't get served many of the passed apps.

The same two waitstaff bought a small local farm last year, and raise chickens and pigs. At the end of the night, Gil told me I am invited to the farm trhis week for a "Chicken Party". I was thrilled because I love chicken, especially organic, free range ones. Turns out, it's not a dinner party, it's a plucking and eviscerating party. I get to keep all the feet and livers.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Way OT, 2 funny things by Lorraine (Friday night we did ...)
OMG! Lol lol lol!! You have the most interesting encounters
  Re: Re: Way OT, 2 funny things by DFen911 (OMG! Lol lol lol!! Y...)
That's funny! No lack of entertainment in your neighborhood! BTW, what are you going to do with the feet???
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Way OT, 2 funny things by Mare749 (That's funny! No la...)
Good thing you found out in advance rather than dress for a party and find out what you were going to be doing when you got there! Somehow, chicken feet and livers wouldn't make up for that change of plans in my book.

Did Gil request the cocks comb as well?

Have you ever butchered chickens before?
Just remember, he could have got a falcon with the money he saved!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Way OT, 2 funny things by Old Bay (Just remember, he co...)
Bill,that's funny! Nope, never butchered anything, but I'm willing to give it a try. They are also butchering a pig soon, and offered us parts of that as well. Sure hope we get the belly.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Way OT, 2 funny things by Lorraine (Bill,that's funny! ...)
When we raised chickens it was funny how everyone we knew was out of town the weekend we butchered chickens....

Deep fry the feet, Maryann!!! Lorraine, if you have an excess amount of chicken livers, I have a great Chix liver stroganoff that even I like!!

Have fun with all the goodies you manage to get home with. Maybe the pig's head and you can make head cheese, or the intestines (string them out, rinse with a hose) you'll have lots of sausage casings.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Way OT, 2 funny things by cjs (When we raised chick...)
How exciting, Lorraine! I just saw a Chopped episode with chicken feet. Good luck with the pig! William's grandmother made hog's head cheese one time. She set it out in the greenhouse to chill and set up. The dog got in it and every last bit of it. I thought she was going to kill the dog....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Quote:

The same two waitstaff bought a small local farm last year, and raise chickens and pigs. At the end of the night, Gil told me I am invited to the farm trhis week for a "Chicken Party". I was thrilled because I love chicken, especially organic, free range ones. Turns out, it's not a dinner party, it's a plucking and eviscerating party. I get to keep all the feet and livers.

Never been in this situation, good thing you have a sense of humor!!

PJ
PJ
Love the parrot story - Bob used to take our African Grey places . . . it got to be a pain.

LOL about the "chicken party"! They have chicken feet in WalMart grocery here - they call them "chicken paws" - that cracks me up every time. I have considered getting some to make stock ... but, on the other hand
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!