What's for Monday's Dinner, 10/17?
  Re: (...)
What's on everone's menu for today?

I had this and that leftovers yesterday, so put together some beef, gravy, last of the pepper noodles, caramelized onions, etc. so I have 3 little casseroles.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Monday's Dinner, 10/17? by cjs (What's on everone's ...)
Still not on my game so I'm thinking of doing something easy - french dips. Doesn't get much easier than that.
  Re: Re: What's for Monday's Dinner, 10/17? by Trixxee (Still not on my game...)
I made a pot of beef barley stew (actually used venison) and have a loaf of bread on the rise. Nice crisp apples and cheese for dessert.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Monday's Dinner, 10/17? by Mare749 (I made a pot of beef...)
Not enough spaghetti leftover from Sunday... I've got ingredients to make the Chicken Soffrito in CAH Lite cookbook. Made it before and we really liked it.
  Re: Re: What's for Monday's Dinner, 10/17? by HomeCulinarian (Not enough spaghetti...)
My staff is taking Jane and me out to lunch for "Bosses Day", so we will have a lite dinner of lobster rolls with the lobster left from the week end.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What's for Monday's Dinner, 10/17? by Old Bay (My staff is taking J...)
I got a lovely little eggplant at the Farmers' market. We thought about a "parm" or maybe a Moussaka??? Not sure yet. The parm might win - simply because the idea of a meatless meal is attractive.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Monday's Dinner, 10/17? by Harborwitch (I got a lovely littl...)
Tonight it's Tortilla soup with sweet corn and bacon empanadas. Mexican theme night.
  Re: Re: What's for Monday's Dinner, 10/17? by losblanos1 (Tonight it's Tortill...)
Yum, I love Tortilla Soup! and those empanadas sound good too. Post recipes if you get a minute, Blane.

We didn't have anything special today. Evening shift usually consists of a quick early dinner and no wine Today it was meatloaf, polenta, and brussel sprouts
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What's for Monday's Dinner, 10/17? by farnfam (Yum, I love Tortilla...)
The empanadas are from issue #77 (Oct 2009 page 48).

The Tortilla soup isn't from Cuisine at home, it's something that I made up combining other recipes. It's really quite easy to make. First I simmer 3-4 lbs chicken (I use breasts) in water (4 inches above chicken) until it's shreds easily, remove chicken from the water (which now is a semi-chicken stock). Coarsely chop 2 tomatoes, 1 green bell pepper (remove seeds and membrane) and a yellow onion, pulse in a food processor until it's just slightly finer then a pico de gallo. Add to the "semi-chicken stock". Add 1-2 tbs of tomato paste, 1-2 tbs of cumin, 1/4 to 1/2 cup of fresh chopped cilantro, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp chili powder, 5-6 corn tortillas cut into 1/2 inch strips, 2-3 cups real chicken broth, 1 tbs minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste, stir, shred chicken and add to pot. Simmer for about an hour or so. Garnish with sour cream, avocado, toasted tortilla strips and Monterrey jack cheese. This recipe makes about a gallon and a half. I cook this in a large stock pot. Everything is by taste, I wish that I had a more precise recipe for you.
  Re: Re: What's for Monday's Dinner, 10/17? by losblanos1 (The empanadas are fr...)
We had Bourbon Chicken, stir-fried broccoli, and white rice. The chicken was terrific (a definite keeper), broccoli needs tweaking 'cuz it was too spicy, and the white rice was...white rice. Overall, we enjoyed it.

I have tortilla soup planned for Wednesday when the weather changes. We're getting really cold! I am so looking forward to some yummy soup, and Blane's posting makes me crave it even more.