Creamy Cauliflower Soup
  Re: (...)
Since Jean asked about this, here is what I do.

Cut the cauliflower off the stem and rinse in water. Put into a soup pot, add cold water or chicken broth to the top and bring to a boil. I just use a good spoonful or two of chicken base, then it doesn't need any salt. Cook until it's nice and soft.

In the meantime, I dice up 4-6 pieces of bacon and fry until crisp. Set those aside to add last or to use as a topping. In 1 or 2 T. of the bacon grease, cook some chopped leeks or onions, carrots, celery, peppers, whatever you like, until they are soft. Add a few twists of fresh ground pepper.

When the cauliflower is done, I put it in the food processor with some of the cooking water and puree it until nice and smooth. Put that back in the pot. Take the sauteed veggies and put those in the food processor with a little water or broth and just pulse a few times so that they stay a little chunky. Then, add those to the soup pot. Add 1/2 cup of milk or cream.

If you like a cheese flavor like we do, add 4 oz.of whatever cheese you have on hand, (I frequently use a sharp cheddar) and stir until it's melted. Add in the bacon bits or sprinkle on top to finish.

This makes a nice thick soup, but it can always be thinned with more chicken stock. And of course, it can be changed up in any number of ways to make it your own. Ron likes to sprinkle chipotle pepper on his sometimes.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Creamy Cauliflower Soup by Mare749 (Since Jean asked abo...)
Sounds great, Maryann! I'm holding this one for the next cool day.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Creamy Cauliflower Soup by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds great, Maryan...)
Thanks, we love cauliflower!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Creamy Cauliflower Soup by Lorraine (Thanks, we love caul...)
Thanks Maryann - it sounded good and now it really does. duly copied!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Creamy Cauliflower Soup by cjs (Thanks Maryann - it ...)
Maryann, I've copied your recipe, loved the bacon addition. I am not much of a soup person, but I love this one.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

CHEESY CAULIFLOWER SOUP*****

* This recipe is from an English cookbook, hence the English pint measurement and despite what AB says, a pint is not a pint the world round, The British fluid ounce is equal to 1.04 times the American fluid ounce. The British pint contains 20 British ounces compared to the American pint which contains 16 American ounces. To convert American fluid ounces to British fluid ounces, multiply the American ounces by 1.04. I have not bothered to make the conversions since I have a British measuring cup and spoons I brought back from when I lived in England.

Servings: 4

1 medium head cauliflower
1 onion, finely chopped
2 oz. butter
1 bay leaf
1 oz. flour
25 oz. chicken stock*1 to 1 ½ English pints
Salt
pepper
20 oz. milk 1English pint
4 oz. 3-4 ounces grated Cheddar cheese

Wash the cauliflower and cook in boiling salted water for 20 minutes. Drain and keep the cooking liquid. Cut cauliflower in half, set one half aside and keep warm. Sieve the other half. Cook the onion in butter with the bay leaf until the onion is transparent. Remove bay leaf and blend in flour to make a roux. Make the cauliflower cooking liquid up to 1 ½ English pints* with the chicken stock. (The original recipe called for a chicken stock cube and water, but I use homemade stock) Stir liquid slowly into the flour mixture and season. Heat to boiling point stirring all the time. Cook for 3 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in milk and cauliflower purée. Add the rest of the cauliflower broken into small florets. Heat gently and add the grated cheese. Do not boil. Serve in a heated soup tureen sprinkled with chopped parsley.

Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes

Author: Mine
Source: English cookbook

Recipe Type: Cauliflower, Cheddar cheese, Side Dish, Soups, Vegetables
  Re: Re: Creamy Cauliflower Soup by Cubangirl (Maryann, I've copied...)
Thank you! I like the idea of having a few florets in the soup!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."