Smoked Honey Ice Cream
  Re: (...)
What a delight this concoction is!!
[Image: CIMG1447.jpg]

when I removed the ice cream from the maker, I notice balls of honey that hadn't incorporated with the ice cream (darn), so I scooped them out along with a tad of the ice cream and set them aside. After the ice cream 'seeded' as my mom used to call it, and I was ready to take a picture, I stirred up the honey (ball that hadn't incorporated) and drizzled over the dish - what a nice additional flavor.

Now, don't know whether to be really careful to drizzle oh so slowly in the the mixture as it is churning or make sure I have a little of the ball to use as a drizzle.

Anyway, you smokers out there, this is really a great little dessert.

-----
Here's the recipe if Ihaven't posted it already...

Smoked Honey Ice Cream
"Notes: If you want to make a fancy, melt-in-your-mouth (literally) dessert for your friends, this is the recipe for you. The smoked honey gives this sweetener an even deeper flavor profile while also giving the ice cream a smoother mouthfeel. Ice creams using honey generally have a lower freezing temperature, which results in an ice cream free of grainy ice crystals."

* Exported from MasterCook *

Smoked Honey Ice Cream

5 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 vanilla bean -- split
1/3 cup smoked honey -- or to taste*

To prepare ice cream base, beat eggs and sugar together in a bowl; reserve. Combine milk and heavy cream in a saucepan; scrape vanilla seeds into mixture, then add whole vanilla bean. Bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low. Temper egg mixture with a little of the hot liquid. Slowly whisk tempered egg mixture into the saucepan.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Cool. Remove vanilla bean. Pour ice cream base into ice cream maker, following manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Add smoked honey after the mixture begins to thicken.

Notes: Yield will depend upon the amount of air a particular ice cream maker incorporates into the ice cream.

*Smoke honey over pecan chips at a low temperature for about 1-1/2 hours. (this is how I did it, with the honey in a shallow metal pan, about 200°)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream by cjs (What a delight this ...)
Ooooooo... Unfortunately, we don't have an ice cream maker.

After watching "It's Complicated" (with the Hubby, dontcha know, cause it is funny as h&ll), has anyone ever made or even had Lavendar ice cream?

Could be a persuasive argument to get an ice cream maker from Santa! I've got a smoker now!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream by BarbaraS (Ooooooo... Unfortun...)
We have a local chain called Honey Hut that uses honey in their ice cream and it's wonderful. My favorite is honey pecan. I really want to try the smoked honey next time we use the smoker so I can make this, but will probably sprinkle some pecans on top.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream by Mare749 (We have a local chai...)
I am in awe over this. Sounds very wonderful.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream by luvnit (I am in awe over thi...)
I am going to go to my room and pout. I (whine) want my smoker . . . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream by cjs (What a delight this ...)
Jean we can't seem to find pecan chips around here - do you think cherry or apple would work????

I am so excited about making this!
  Re: Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream by Harborwitch (Jean we can't seem t...)
I have pecan chips, 3 ice cream makers and lots of honey!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream by Lorraine (I have pecan chips, ...)
Sure, why not!! I'd give it a try.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream by cjs (Sure, why not!! I'd ...)
Thanks. I think the cherry chips. (I had a crazy dream about you, a crazy hat, and something we were cooking with peanuts and rum and nutmeg. I could smell it it was so vivid!)

Re: Re: Smoked Honey Ice Cream by Harborwitch (Thanks. I think the...)
How Funny - I dreamed about cooking with Denise - she had logging boots on and stomped on a bread we were making to give it a rustic flavor..................................

What did we all eat last night to give us these dreams????
www.achefsjourney.com