Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I have a hardwood floor in my kitchen and the recipes that take some serious prep time (think: Coq Au Vin, Beef Bourguignon) can really do a number to my back while I'm standing at my island and chopping ingredients.

I first saw these mats in Chefs catalog and they look cool. Now, I'm seeing them other catalogs as well as BJ's for an even lower price.

Does anyone out here have one of them and do they help? Is there a brand name associated with them? Any info would be appreciated.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I ha...)
If this is what you're talking about -
http://www.gelpro.com/?SR=SR=sid&utm...r3_109856920_go

yes, I have only one and I'd love to have more, but they are so darn expensive. One of my granddaughters bought me one for Christmas a couple years ago - she thought I was getting too old for standing all day. (little sh*thead )

They are wonderful!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by cjs (If this is what you'...)
Mercy! That is high! But I bet they're worth it. I'll have to keep this in mind for a group gift from the kids.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by Gourmet_Mom (Mercy! That is high...)
Now see, I'm seeing "knock-offs"! Chef's has the "Gel Pro" and "others"...

http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/sear...;ipp=12&re=

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by BarbaraS (Now see, I'm seeing ...)
I have never had a gelpro mat, so I cannot speak to the wonderfulness of it. I do have the inexpensive mat I picked up at either Sams or Costo. It is a fairly thick memory foam type mat with some sort of art on top. I have a lot of back issues and can only stand for so long and find the foam mat a huge help. In fact, I bought two and have them stacked for even more protection.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by chef_Tab (I have never had a g...)
I put one of those mats in my Costco cart to use in our RV kitchen and then someone saw it in our cart and said she bought one for her kitchen and it stuck to her wood floor and could not get the residue off no matter what she used. I put it back fast.

I have a different brand (from Target) in my home kitchen and haven't had any trouble with it sticking (but I have laminate). The question I have is how do you clean it? Old fashioned scrub brush and water?
  Re: Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by Trixxee (I put one of those m...)
Trixxee, I assume you are addressing me? I had the original mat for at least 4 years on my hardwood kitchen floor in Missouri and never had a problem with it sticking. I just wipe it down when I wash the floors (vinegar and water) I bought the second mat when we were in the apartment for two years and my original mat was in storage. The second mat was on a vinyl floor and again, never had a problem with sticking, tho my daughters cat used it as a scratching board and made the top look ratty. Now I have them stacked in the new kitchen which has 1957 linoleum flooring (bleh) but the mats are not sticking, not even to eachother. I might add that I am fairly sure these mats are under $10 each.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by chef_Tab (Trixxee, I assume yo...)
Another option: sit down at a table to do your prep. A lot cheaper.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by chef_Tab (Trixxee, I assume yo...)
Quote:

Trixxee, I assume you are addressing me?

Yup. These mats were quite large and $14.99 I believe - about 3-4 months ago at Costco (No Sam's here). They were very sticky to each other in the pile they were in and sort of had to peel them off each other.

I thought they were gorgeous but after what that person said I wasn't willing go that route. Perhaps hers was defective. Scared me nonethless and put that puppy right back - LOL.
  Re: Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I don't have the gel mats, but I have the same mats you see in kitchens with the holes. [Image: multi-matcolors.jpg]
and I love them! They have saved my knees