Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor
  Re: Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by DFen911 (I don't have the gel...)
He bought me 2 of them from US Foods (half the price of the regular GelPros), one for home, one for the winery. They are fabulous. I tried one of the thick foam ones at home, but it stuck to the floor.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by Lorraine (He bought me 2 of th...)
I would not be leaving it on the floor all the time as I have two kitties with full weapons.

And Labs, sitting on the step stool sometimes while prepping doesn't help totally as I still don't have a back support to it.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by DFen911 (I don't have the gel...)
So many responses to make - don't know where to begin...

Trixxee - Never had a sticking problem with the mat I have and we just wipe it off when mopping.

"Another option: sit down at a table to do your prep." - no way in h*ll has that ever worked for me. Have tried it a couple times over the years.

Denise - I had those mats at the barn, 'cause I loved them so much at work. But, they just ended up to cumbersome too remove from the kitchen to clean (where they were) and them. Heavy suckers, but ohhhhhh so comfortable.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Those Gel Mats For Your Kitchen Floor by cjs (So many responses to...)
Oh well, just came back from BJ's and there were no more. Guess I'll just order from the catalog.

The only time I sit at my island is when I'm assembling the 8-layer lasagna.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow... by BarbaraS (Oh well, just came b...)
Costco and Sams Club have both had them at various times. Not sure if they have them in stock right now. Seems like it might be a Christmas item?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow... by esgunn (Costco and Sams Club...)
We're not members of Costco or Sam's.

Hubby wants to order something else out of that catalog so I'll order one. Hey, if I don't think it will help I can always return it.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow... by BarbaraS (We're not members of...)
I ordered my 7 foot gel mat from Central Restaurant Supply for about $120-$135. I love it!

I thought it was a great price. It was a custom size too. I can take a pic of it if anyone is interested. It does come in several colors: Black, Walnut, etc.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow... by luvnit (I ordered my 7 foot ...)
Jean - yeah they are heavy That's why it's Derek's job to pull em and wash em in the driveway
  Re: Re: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow... by luvnit (I ordered my 7 foot ...)
By all means, post the pic!

The one I'm looking at is filled with 1" of foam and is 5' x 22" - perfect for between the island and stove. Some of the lesser reviews mentioned that the material is a microfiber that attracts pet hair (we have 2 kitties) and is kind of hard to clean. I'm not planning on having it down 24/7, just when I do lengthy preps or lasagna.

I looked at the Gel Pro mats and they come in even numbered lengths. Missing a foot would be okay, but they're also narrower. Not much more expensive than the one I'm looking at.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow... by BarbaraS (By all means, post t...)
I keep looking at the Gel Pro site link Jean provided. They look like I could leave them down 24/7 and just wipe the pet hair off.

Barbara