Sturgeon
  Re: (...)
If you ever have a chance of buying a fresh sturgeon and have a smoker you are going to be very happy. I have a local asian market that has huge thick pieces of sturgeon that I smoke. I dont know if I ever had a more delicious smoked fish.
  Re: Sturgeon by piano226 (If you ever have a c...)
I used to do Sturgeon when we were in California and I sure agree with you, Marina!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sturgeon by cjs (I used to do Sturgeo...)
I've never tried it, but will check with my fish market. How long does it take to smoke? (approximately) And to what temperature?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sturgeon by Mare749 (I've never tried it,...)
well i usually buy about 6 lbs all in one piece and i pour a layer of salt on it and let it sit for maybe 3-6 hours depending on the thickness of the fish. Rinse the salt of and smoke at 200 for about 3-4 hours.
  Re: Re: Sturgeon by piano226 (well i usually buy a...)
Smoked sturgeon is awesome. I may have to suggest that to Caleb - he has sturgeon and a smoker. Drooling just thinking about it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sturgeon by Harborwitch (Smoked sturgeon is a...)
I used to purchase from a smoke house in Iowa along the Mississippi
They used a Honey Smoke on the fish.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Sturgeon by mjkcooking ( I used to purchase...)
"They used a Honey Smoke on the fish." - well now!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sturgeon by cjs ("They used a Honey S...)
How do you do a honey smoke?
  Re: Re: Sturgeon by piano226 (How do you do a hone...)
I'm thinking I can just add honey to make a moist rub to begin with and maybe add a little honey to the apple spray while it's smoking???? Not sure, haven't looked into it yet.

O.K., here's what I found looking around and I am so ready to do one of these.

Number 1 - Honey Cured Smoked Salmon

1 qt water
½ cup salt
1 cup honey
¼ cup lemon juice
10 cloves
10 allspice berries
1 bay leaf
1 large fillet of salmon

Suggested wood chips: Hickory or apple

Combine all of the ingredients except salmon to make a brine. Place the salmon, skin side up, in a baking dish and cover with brining liquid. Allow fish to brine for two hours. Rinse salmon in cold water and pat dry. Place salmon on a drying rack (or grill rack that you will use to smoke the salmon on) and allow to air dry for at least 1 hour. Smoke the salmon skin side down for about 1 – 1 ½ hours at 160 degrees.

------

Number 2 - Honey-Cured Smoked Salmon
BRINE -
1 quart water
½ cup salt
¾ cup honey
¼ cup golden rum
10 whole cloves
10 allspice berries
1 bay leaf
----------
1 large salmon fillet

Combine first 7 ingredients to make the brine.

Place salmon, skin side up, in a non-reactive dish and cover with the brine liquid. Allow to brine for 2 hours.
(I used a big Ziploc bag)

Rinse the fillet in fresh water and pat dry with paper towels.

Place the fillet on a drying rack (you can use the grill rack you will be smoking the fillet on) and allow to air dry for about one hour.

Smoke salmon skin side down with your choice of wood for about 1 ½ hours; maintain temperature at 160° F. (I used apple and cherry)

www.achefsjourney.com