"Fruit-slice" candy or gumdrops?
  Re: (...)
Do any of you have a recipe for "fruit-slice" or "orange-slice" candy or gumdrops that does NOT use gelatin, pectin? (Please note that that is "fruit-slice" candy, NOT "candied fruit slices," so there are not actual fruit slices involved.)

The ingredients for the "Farley's" brand are "Sugar, corn syrup, modified corn starch, natural and artificial flavors, artificial colors including blue 1, red 3, red 40, yellow 5 and yellow 6." Those are the ones I'd like to copy, if possible.

All of the recipes I found on the Net contained gelatin or pectin, with some other information (not related to the recipes) suggesting gum Arabic or agar agar, but I would like to use only sugar, corn syrup, cornstarch and fruit juice.

After further research, I discovered that the cornstarch is probably the gelling agent in those candies, such as in THIS example AND in the fact that one pectin alternative for making jellies and jams - "Clear-Gel" is made from cornstarch.

I have yet to try the experiment at the above link, but may not have to try it if someone already has a tested recipe that fits. It would be even better if it didn't use corn syrup, but that's not absolutely necessary.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: "Fruit-slice" candy or gumdrops? by labradors (Do any of you have a...)
Labs, I wish I could help. But this is one candy I never liked as a child....stuck to my teeth too bad. (My teeth were much like Lauren Becall's growing up...still would, if I didn't grind them in my sleep so bad). Good luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: "Fruit-slice" candy or gumdrops? by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, I wish I could...)
Thanks, Daphne. I can relate to the last part: I wear a dental "night guard," myself. These candies don't bother my teeth, but I'm looking to make these for someone else, anyway.
  Re: Re: "Fruit-slice" candy or gumdrops? by labradors (Thanks, Daphne. I c...)
Hi I don't have a fruit candy recipe but I do have one for this
chewy candy called Applet and Cotlets has nuts in it also - Let me know
and I will post it.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: "Fruit-slice" candy or gumdrops? by mjkcooking (Hi I don't have a f...)
Why no pectin?
  Re: Re: "Fruit-slice" candy or gumdrops? by DFen911 (Why no pectin?...)
Thanks, Marye. It would be interesting to see it although, if it doesn't have gelatin or packaged pectin, it may gel because apples are high in pectin. Due to the cost of the apples, though (they're imported from Washington state a couple thousand miles away), I wouldn't make the exact recipe. Still, it could be handy as some guidance for other ratios, etc.

Denise, no pectin because packaged pectin isn't available to me here; no gelatin because the candy I'm attempting to duplicate doesn't list it on the label and other candies that would seem similar and that do list gelatin on the label don't have the same taste and consistency. Of course, I COULD make "homemade" pectin by boiling down some apples, but that goes back to what said to Marye, as it just wouldn't be cost effective (in particular, it would cost more than buying the Farley's slices - when the Farley's are available).
  Re: Re: "Fruit-slice" candy or gumdrops? by labradors (Thanks, Marye. It w...)
Labs, I happened to be eating an orange slice when I saw this post. The package says modified food starch sucrose, dextrose and lots of artificial stuff. Anyway, I found this which says you can make pectin from citrus. Wiki also has this article on other fruits high in pectin including guavas. Hope this helps.
  Re: Re: "Fruit-slice" candy or gumdrops? by Cubangirl (Labs, I happened to ...)
LOL! Thanks. I've already visited the pectin idea and it just isn't worth it or practical for this.

The ingredient list I posted earlier was the actual list from the Farley's brand: no gelatin, no pectin, and the cornstarch is already a confirmed gelling agent.

"Chuckles" are the same: "Corn Syrup, Sugar, Cornstarch, Modified Food Starch (Corn), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Red 40, Caramel Color, Yellow 6, Blue 1, Yellow 5." Those ingredients must work, without the gelatin or pectin, else nobody would be able to make those (and many other similar) products.

The question is how to work with those ingredients - not how to substitute for them.
  Re: Re: "Fruit-slice" candy or gumdrops? by labradors (LOL! Thanks. I've a...)
Labs, didn't Gina from the old C2C used to make those types of candies. I have seen some of her posts on Facebook and I thinks she is still doing something along that line. Might be worth contacting her to see if she could offer any suggestions.
  Re: Re: "Fruit-slice" candy or gumdrops? by iBcookin (Labs, didn't Gina fr...)
What a shame, I just looked through Gale Gand's, Just a Bite, because I had made a candy from it years ago for a catering job that was fantastic...but, alas, her Ruby Raspberry Jellies calls for pectin.

Couldn't your Mom send you a year's supply of pectin for practically nothing? Hell, I'll send it to you.

This recipe is just delicious and the presentation (that I didn't get a picture of ) was fantastic.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com