"The Art of the Bread" - Le Bec Fin
  Re: (...)
OMG!! In my little nosy town that has the BEST fireworks display for 4 July, Narberth, PA, Georges Perrier of Le Bec Fin in Philly had his pastry chef open a pastry bistro 1/2 mile from my folks' home. Since my sis and her hubby are in from Scotland and we had to do some shopping, we stopped there.

OMG. OMG. I wish it was more like the bistro scene that Meryl Streep has in "It's Complicated", but the little boits of desserts were sooo deliciously displayed, you wanted to take one of each home with you.

They had a mini "pizza of pastry dough with marmalade and slice of fruit". And I mean mini. All these pastries were about 2-3" in diameter. I bought two Pots D'Creme and Chocolate Enraptured Creme Brulees. And they were actually priced better than I though they would be, given their source of Pastry Chef. Le Bec Fin is one of the top restaurants in Philly and it's very exclusive.

The staff were a bunch of sweethearts, too. They were very helpful in describing what was available. Oh yeah! There was a mini carrot cake wrapped in orange icing that looked nothing like a carrot cake. That's for me!! I just want a bite!

I don't mean to brag, but sometimes I say, "Only In America". I've been to some foreign markets that can really depress you. I just want to share if you're in this area of Philly. Let me know.

I wish I could send each and every one of you one of their pastries, but just coming home in an hour's worth of traffic, they practically melted in the box in my car and I was running the AC. And Hubby says, No, I don't want one right now. Well, he has to sleep sometime...

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: "The Art of the Bread" - Le Bec Fin by BarbaraS (OMG!! In my little ...)
WOW! This sounds wonderful, Barbara! If I'm ever going your way, you can bet I'll be letting you know!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: "The Art of the Bread" - Le Bec Fin by Gourmet_Mom (WOW! This sounds wo...)
Anything Le Bec fin is bound to be awesome. Cool!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: "The Art of the Bread" - Le Bec Fin by labradors (Anything Le Bec fin ...)
Oh now that is a GREAT find!! Did you get pictures of the shop? Oh I am so jealous and so wish we had a bakery of any kind, but to have one of that caliber...now that is a treasure
  Re: Re: "The Art of the Bread" - Le Bec Fin by DFen911 (Oh now that is a GRE...)
"I wish I could send each and every one of you one of their pastries" - Uh, Barbara, my address is........

That sounds just wonderful! Would love to get to that part of the country, sigh, maybe one day.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: "The Art of the Bread" - Le Bec Fin by DFen911 (Oh now that is a GRE...)
It's just a tiny little shop with maybe 12 chairs at three tables. On top of the bakery goods and desserts, they do lunch - one special a day, about 4 tartins, 3 different quiches, sandwiches, and salad. And coffees and smoothies. I might have to go back on Friday and pick up a quiche for dinner. Yum!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: "The Art of the Bread" - Le Bec Fin by BarbaraS (It's just a tiny lit...)
Barbara, what's the name of the bistro? I want to give it to my friend who lives in Springfield. How long would it take her to get there? I'm going to keep this in mind for future visits...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: "The Art of the Bread" - Le Bec Fin by Mare749 (Barbara, what's the ...)
Maryann,

It's called "Art of Bread" and it's in Narberth at 920 Montgomery Avenue. Here's a link to it's opening in the Philly Inquirer:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-i...opens.html

As you can see, it's not a very big place. And I don't know whether your friend lives in Springfield, Montgomery County or Delaware County. Yeah, there's two. When I was on the high school swim team, we had a meet at Springfield High School. The bus driver drove us to the wrong one.

Barbara
  Re: Re: "The Art of the Bread" - Le Bec Fin by BarbaraS (Maryann,[br][br]It's...)
Thanks Barbara! I don't know which county she lives in, but I started to tell her about it this afternoon and she said that your town is only about 20 minutes from her and that she was looking for a place to take a friend to lunch. This should be perfect. I'll let you know when she goes.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: "The Art of the Bread" - Le Bec Fin by Mare749 (Thanks Barbara! I d...)
Maryann, the greater Philadelphia area is LOADED with great places to eat and Le Bec Fin is VERY well known. Wish I could get to their bread place.

If your friend is only about 20 minutes away from the area, she should check out the many Pennsylvania-Inn restaurants, such as the Duling-Kurtz House.

SO many wonderful places, SO much wonderful food!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?