$$11 Buck Chuck!!!
  Re: (...)
Went for a haircut and then out to lunch with Tonya! We had a great time and went to a place neither of us had been to - a real "foodie" place; deli, restaurant, and kitchen store.

As we were waiting for our lunch I spotted a basket of discontinued wines. Thinking I might find a great bargain I had to peek. There they were 6 bottles of Merlot discounted to $10.99 - Charles Shaw!!

Now I know prices on everything are going sky high - but Two Buck Chuck for 11 bucks??? Lunch was great and reasonable - needless to say I did not stock up on TBC Merlot! LOL
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: $$11 Buck Chuck!!! by Harborwitch (Went for a haircut a...)
Sharon, did you happen to notice the year of the Merlot? When 2 buck chuck first came out, the wine used was the 'good stuff' that was such a glut on the market and it was one way to save their a$$es. Remember when the growers just left the grapes on the vines and didn't even harvest? Then 'chuck' was made with crap - imo - and we haven't drank it since.

You might have stumbled upon something....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: $$11 Buck Chuck!!! by Harborwitch (Went for a haircut a...)
I haven't bought it in a long time, but that's the regular price here. We never even saw it for two bucks. By the time they put in a TJ's here, maybe five years ago now, they were already charging $5 for it and it wasn't even any good, at that time anyway.

On a happier note, glad you had a great lunch! Did you take pics? Sounds like a fun place.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: $$11 Buck Chuck!!! by Mare749 (I haven't bought it ...)
And, to top it all off, Sharon - remmeber you're back in Was®hington, home of the high booze prices!!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: $$11 Buck Chuck!!! by cjs (And, to top it all o...)
Jean I am reminded of the cost of drinking up here all the time.

We quit drinking TBC a long time ago - it got to be such awful plonk. I didn't check the year on it but if I can drag Bob in to see the place Saturday I'll check it out.
  Re: Re: $$11 Buck Chuck!!! by Harborwitch (Jean I am reminded o...)
Sounds like a fun day! I've never heard of that wine.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: $$11 Buck Chuck!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds like a fun da...)
I've heard of it, but haven't seen it here or tried it. We did, however, hit the wine motherlode. The winery had some wine returned to them that they didn't want to put back into inventory, so gave it to us. gil had been talking about making vinegar, so we did that, but also made jams, jellies, conserves. I, of course, had to sample a few bottles.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: $$11 Buck Chuck!!! by Lorraine (I've heard of it, bu...)
Well of course you had to sample. How else would you know if it would be fit to use. LOL What a lucky day that was!
  Re: Re: $$11 Buck Chuck!!! by Harborwitch (Well of course you h...)
They gave us about 14 cases, (with more to come), so it was a VERY lucky day!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: $$11 Buck Chuck!!! by Harborwitch (Well of course you h...)
Pretty nice, Lorraine. Once again, sure wish we lived closer...
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."