Sorrel
  Re: (...)
We have been told this is great with fish, but with conflicting advice about serving raw or cooked. Anybody have any experience--Jean??
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Sorrel by Old Bay (We have been told th...)
I'm not Jean, but I did have a good crop of it in Toronto that came back every year. I added it to soups, or quickly wilted it in butter and added it to omelets. I also julienned it and added it to salads. I found that once the really hot weather hit, it got bitter, so I would just keep cutting it back, and use it agin in the fall. Sorry, never did use it with fish.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Sorrel by Lorraine (I'm not Jean, [img]/...)
What Lorraine said - it's also good on pizza (asparagus, prosciutto, provolone, mozz), you knew I was going to mention that, didn't you?

I'm signing off for tonight, but I've got some ideas for you tomorrow a.m.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sorrel by cjs (What Lorraine said -...)
Russians make cold soup with it. I grow it every year and we love it.
  Re: Re: Sorrel by piano226 (Russians make cold s...)
No help from me. The last time I heard of sorrel was in a Euell Gibbons book in the '70s.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sorrel by labradors (No help from me. Th...)
Ask and ye shall...... O.K., here are some ideas for you, Bill - the last ideas are from an old thread on C2C in 2005.

Asparagus Pizzettas with Fontina and Prosciutto – F&W recipe

1 pound pizza or bread dough
2 pounds medium asparagus -- tough ends discarded
1 large shallot -- thinly sliced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil -- plus more for brushing
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Semolina or fine cornmeal -- for dusting
2 cups shredded Fontina cheese (6 ounces)
1 cup shredded fresh mozzarella (3 ounces)
1 1/2 ounces prosciutto -- julienned (1 lightly packed cup)
4 large sorrel leaves -- julienned
Fresh lemon juice

Set a pizza stone on the bottom or on the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat the oven to 500°, allowing at least 30 minutes for the stone to heat. On a lightly floured work surface, cut the dough into 4 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes.

In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the asparagus until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Slice the asparagus 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal and transfer to a large bowl. Add the shallot and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 ball of dough into an 8-inch round. Dust a pizza peel with semolina and set the dough round on it. Lightly brush the dough with olive oil. Scatter 1/2 cup of the Fontina cheese and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella on the dough, then top with one-fourth of the asparagus and 1/4 cup of the prosciutto. Slide the pizzetta onto the hot stone. Bake for about 6 minutes, or until it is crisp and browned on the bottom and bubbling on top. Using a large spatula, transfer the pizzetta to a work surface and cut it into quarters. Sprinkle the pizzetta with the sorrel and lemon juice and serve. As soon as 1 pizzetta is in the oven, prepare the next. Slide it into the oven when the first comes out.

MAKE AHEAD The asparagus mixture can be refrigerated overnight.

NOTES : Michael Tusk tops his pizzettas sparingly, as bakers in Italy do, to show off the crisp crusts. Here we've added extra topping, in keeping with American taste

-----

It’s great with crab – I used it as a garnish (original idea from Florian, in Windsor, CO) for a crab timbale for a dinner party – nice combination.

------

Haven’t tried this one yet, but sure sounds good – at least a variation on it

Grilled Shrimp Rolls with Sorrel – F&W recipe

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil -- plus more for brushing
1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
3 garlic cloves -- minced
40 large shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds) -- shelled and deveined
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 scallions -- finely chopped
3 cornichons -- finely chopped
1 shallot -- finely chopped
1 large celery rib -- finely chopped
2 teaspoons minced tarragon
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon gin
1 tablespoon dry sherry
8 hot dog rolls (preferably potato rolls) -- split
8 large sorrel or arugula leaves

In a large shallow dish, combine 1/4 cup of the olive oil with the rosemary, lemon zest and two-thirds of the garlic. Stir in the shrimp and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.

In a bowl, stir the mayonnaise with the scallions, cornichons, shallot, celery, tarragon, sherry vinegar, paprika, celery seeds and the remaining minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper.

Light a grill. Toss the shrimp with the gin and sherry. Thread the shrimp onto 8 skewers; season with salt and pepper. Grill the shrimp over a hot fire until lightly charred and cooked through, 3 minutes per side; let cool slightly. Stir the grilled shrimp into the mayonnaise dressing.

Brush the cut sides of the hot dog rolls with olive oil and grill until toasted. Place a sorrel leaf in each roll, spoon the shrimp salad into the rolls and serve.

MAKE AHEAD The salad can be refrigerated overnight. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.

California's cool Sonoma Coast has become the state's premier source for crisp, minerally Chardonnays, an ideal match for these rolls. The racy 2003 La Crema Sonoma Coast Chardonnay is a less-than-$20 introduction to the region.

Search for easy-to-find flinty, high-acid chablis

Description:
"Shea Gallante loved lobster rolls. For this version, he douses shrimp with gin and sherry, grills it and mixes it with a fragrant scallion-tarragon mayonnaise"

-----
SORREL - C2C/LORRAINE - 2005

Lorraine - I know I asked this question last year, but we have a lot of new members since then, so I'm hoping for a few different answers. The first of the sorrel is ready to be picked. I'll put some in a salad tonight, and Chef Elsner's omelettes are a given. Does anyone do anything else with it??
Thx.

Sorrel Soup - stephsherman323

This is the original recipe - I think it needs a couple of bay leaves and a touch of butter at the end.

3 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons uncooked white rice
1 bunch sorrel, stemmed and rinsed
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
In a large saucepan bring vegetable broth to a boil over medium heat. Stir in rice and continue to boil for about 8 minutes. Stir in sorrel and return to a boil. Remove from heat and puree in batches in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender.
Return to medium-low heat and stir in cream, salt and pepper. Heat through and serve.

Sorrel-Green Peppercorn Aioli - ?

1/2 cup sorrel
1 Tbls. parsley, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
1 shallot, roughly chopped
1 Tbls. green peppercorns
1 tsp vinegar
1 egg
1 cup olive or vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

sorrel hollandaise

4 tbsp cold water
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp white peppercorns, crushed
225g/8oz unsalted butter
3 medium egg yolks
pinch of cayenne pepper
¼ small lemon, juice only
15g/½oz sorrel, large stalks removed and the leaves finely shredded then roughly chopped
salt
hope these were of help

stephsherman323 Servings: 6
Sauteed chicken breasts stuffed with sorrel

Total time: 55 minutes
Servings: 4

Note: This is delicious served with fingerling potatoes.

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups finely chopped sorrel leaves, divided
1 clove finely minced garlic
2 Tbsps. minced shallots, divided
1 tsp. olive oil
1 1/4 tsps. salt, plus more to taste, divided
Pepper
4 boneless skin-on chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter, divided
1 Tbsp. fat drippings from
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sorrel by cjs (Ask and ye shall.......)
Well, I'm guessing the shrimp roll recipe answers the fish question. But WOW! What a great variety of recipes! Looks like you hit the jackpot, Bill and Jane!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sorrel by cjs (Ask and ye shall.......)
Jean, a treasure you surely be--argggg!!!' a treasure trove--all the food groups!!! (Pirates worry about that--the pyramid or the plate)--thanks so much--we don't have enough sorrel--we'll pick and choose--AND REPORT!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Sorrel by Old Bay (Jean, a treasure you...)
Yes , she is. Are u trying the shrimp roll? Mom has a friend that grows sorrel, and I'd be willing to beg for some if that one is good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sorrel by Gourmet_Mom (Yes , she is. Are u...)
Wonder if it's too late to plant some sorrel????
Maybe I can find some 'in the city' the third Wednesday.... (I'm making myself hungry)
www.achefsjourney.com