Dulce de Leche - CubanGirl
  Re: (...)
CubanGirl posted an updated version of making Dulce de Leche (caramel sauce) using condensed milk. I was afraid it would get lost in the shuffle, so I'm posting it all here again. Hope that's o.k., CG.

--------
I love Dulce de Leche (was heartbroken when Häagen-Dazs got rid of the lite version). I am one of those strange people that while I love sweets, I find many desserts to be too sweet despite having grown up in sugar cane country with melao (or perhaps because of it), so I find it too sweet when made with condensed milk.(Ditto for flan, my favorite dessert). I do love Dulce de Leche, and make it from scratch (does not take longer than the method described above, but I can control the sugar) for homemade Dulce de Leche ice cream among other things. However for the rest of the world that does love the condensed milk kind, you might want to try Dave Lebowitz's method It avoids the whole can thing (and takes less time).

Dulce de Leche or Confiture de Lait
Adapted from The Perfect Scoop (Ten Speed Press)
Preheat the oven to 425° F (220° C).

Pour one can (400 gr/14 ounces) of sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) into a glass pie plate or shallow baking dish. Stir in a few flecks of sea salt.

Set the pie plate within a larger pan, such as a roasting pan, and add hot water until it reaches halfway up the side of the pie plate.

Cover the pie plate snugly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 to 1¼ hours. (Check a few times during baking and add more water to the roasting pan as necessary).

Once the Dulce de Leche is nicely browned and caramelized, remove from the oven and let cool. Once cool, whisk until smooth.

Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Warm gently in a warm water bath or microwave oven before using.

-------
I made this version this a.m. and it's a lot easier on the nerves than listening and wondering...doing it the old way. Thanks so much for the idea.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dulce de Leche - CubanGirl by cjs (CubanGirl posted an ...)
Thanks Jean and thank you Cubangirl! Don't know when I might be making this, but it sure sounds easy enough.
Copied and saved.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Dulce de Leche - CubanGirl by cjs (CubanGirl posted an ...)
That sounds so much easier. I'll have to look and see what I have that I can fit in the POS oven I have an make work.

Thanks Jean!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dulce de Leche - CubanGirl by Harborwitch (That sounds so much ...)
This is really tasty...
[Image: 15HRDULCEDELECHE.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dulce de Leche - CubanGirl by cjs (This is really tasty...)
It looks real tasty! What are you going to use it for?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dulce de Leche - CubanGirl by Mare749 (It looks real tasty!...)
I have to make 3 or 4 Chocolate-Flan bundt cakes for the winery do on Friday.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dulce de Leche - CubanGirl by cjs (I have to make 3 or ...)
Hmmmmmmm - I have a glass loaf pan that would fit in my pan that size. Do you think that would work???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dulce de Leche - CubanGirl by cjs (I have to make 3 or ...)
Great Jean, glad I could help. BTW, if I did the math correctly, my homemade one which I think is pretty good but only uses 1 cup of sugar, is about half the calories per 1 TBS. serving comparing TBS. to TBS. I am including in case anyone wants to try it.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

HOMEMADE DULCE DE LECHE

Servings: 16
Yield: Yield: about 1 cup or 16 TBS/

1 qt. milk
1 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split in half and seeds scraped or 2 tsps. pure vanilla extract or emulsion.
1 tsp. baking soda
2 TBS. water

In a large heavy saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. When the milk begins to get foamy on top, stir to incorporate the foam.

In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the water, and add to the milk mixture. Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered at a bare simmer. Let cook, stirring occasionally without working the foam into the milk. After 1 hour remove the vanilla bean. Continue cooking, skimming occasionally, until tan, very thick, and reduced to about 1 cup, 1½ to 2 hours. (The milk will continue to darken as it cooks.)

Strain into a clean container and let cool. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (The Dulce de Leche will thicken as it cools, and will keep refrigerated for up to 1 month)

Prep. Time: 10 minutes Cooking: 2 hours and 30 minutes Inactive: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours

Author: Adapted from Emeril Lagasse
Web Page: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeri...index.html

Recipe Type: Desserts, Sweet Sauces, Toppings
  Re: Re: Dulce de Leche - CubanGirl by Cubangirl (Great Jean, glad I c...)
Wait I always just cook mine in the can. I usually cook up 4 to 5 cans to use throughout the year.

Am I the only one that does this?
  Re: Re: Dulce de Leche - CubanGirl by DFen911 (Wait I always just c...)
No, Denise, that's the way I've been doing it for years. This way I'm liking better. I guess if you do 4 or 5 at a time, the old way might work better.
www.achefsjourney.com