Induction Cooktop
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have an induction cooktop? If so -

1 - Did it take a while to get used to it?
2 - What cookware did you buy to use on it?
3 - How is the heat control compared say a gas stove?
  Re: Induction Cooktop by DFen911 (Does anyone have an ...)
If so........get rid of it . Denise, you don't have one do you??????

(be nice, Jean)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Induction Cooktop by cjs (If so........get rid...)
No I have a gas range, but talking to a few people who have an induction range and they just love it. We don't have gas out at our new place and I hate to put in a huge propane tank just for my stove. The furnace and hot water heater are all brand new so we won't be replacing them anytime soon.

Two I talked to said that the heat control far out weighs gas or standard electric stoves. I can understand this theory on electric and gas. With electric coils must cool and on gas iron grates are still very hot from the gas flame. Since induction works with magnets it only heats up the area the pan is on. So if you move your pan so only 1/4 is exposed to the cooking element you heat can be significantly controlled. Even if I move my pot now to just 1/2 of the grate, the entire grate is hot from the flame.

I would love to find someone who has one that I could experiment on.
  Re: Re: Induction Cooktop by DFen911 (No I have a gas rang...)
I've heard they're really cool, but that's all I know. If I had it to do over, I would have bit the bullet and put one in here. Oh well...live and learn!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Induction Cooktop by Gourmet_Mom (I've heard they're r...)
I've never cooked on induction, either, but it's been pretty extensively discussed on the Cook's Illustrated forum. Here's the most recent thread, but there are may more! I've heard induction is wonderful!
  Re: Re: Induction Cooktop by karyn (I've never cooked on...)
Thanks Karyn, lots of information.
  Re: Re: Induction Cooktop by DFen911 (Thanks Karyn, lots o...)
We've been thinking about induction when we remodel our kitchen because now we have electric and it would save putting in a gas line. When I read about them, people who have them seem to really like it. I'll be following your posts on this!
  Re: Re: Induction Cooktop by HomeCulinarian (We've been thinking ...)
The only down side I see so far is having to get new pots and pans. My cast iron will work great,but my everyday cookware wouldn't.

The good news is, it's a lot cheaper now than it was.
  Re: Re: Induction Cooktop by DFen911 (The only down side I...)
Denise, why would you not be able to use your everyday cookware?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Induction Cooktop by Gourmet_Mom (Denise, why would yo...)
Because it works magnetically. So you take a magnet to your pots, if it's sticks it'll work When the pan touches the cooking surface the magnetic field creates heat. So only pan gets hot, not the surface area.

Gas is about only 40% efficient, smooth top electrical is about 70% and induction is 90%.