I think it worked!
  Re: (...)
Well, I sliced and rinsed a bit of the gravalox and it tastes pretty good.
So, those of you who made it before, do I rinse and slice all of it before storing? or Does it have to be eaten immediately?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: I think it worked! by farnfam (Well, I sliced and r...)
We rinse ours and just store it in the fridge.
  Re: Re: I think it worked! by piano226 (We rinse ours and ju...)
You can slice it as you need it, or slice and lay between parchment paper and freeze the slices. Also, will keep in the frig for up to 5 days.

And, to help you use it up, here's a wonderful dish -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn Cakes with Smoked Salmon

1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
Fine sea salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted, at room temperature
About ¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped chives -- plus a few whole chives for garnish
4 ounces smoked salmon -- thinly sliced horizontally, then into thin strips

1. Stir the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon of salt together in a bowl. Whisk the eggs in another bowl, then whisk the eggs, milk, and butter into the dry ingredients to make a batter. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

2. Pour a thin layer of vegetable oil into a large saute pan and heat it over medium heat until a drop of batter sizzles on contact. Begin to spoon batter, 2 to 3 tablespoons at a time, into the pan to make pancake-like corn cakes, cooking them until lightly crisped and golden on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Cook in batches, cleaning the pan if it becomes messy and adding additional oil as necessary. Keep the cakes warm by covering with foil while you finish cooking the remaining batter.

3. In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and chopped chives.

4. Arrange the corn cakes on a serving dish or platter; top each with a dollop of the cream, and finish with some of the sliced salmon. Garnish with whole chives and serve.

Instead of salmon, use smoked trout, smoked sturgeon, or smoked mackerel. Gravlax (salmon cured with sugar, salt, and herbs) would also be a fine alternative.

Top the corn cakes and smoked salmon with salmon roe or sturgeon caviar.

NOTES : This is a valuable recipe to have in your repertoire because it can be used in a number of ways. The combination of small corn cakes and salmon is a sophisticated passed hors d’oeuvre; plated alongside a salad, it makes a first course or light lunch that could precede poultry, meat, or even cooked fish; and, because it features smoked fish, a brunch staple, it’s just as much at home at a weekend breakfast as at the dinner table.

----
Have fun!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I think it worked! by cjs (You can slice it as ...)
Oh YUM, that sounds wonderful!!
We made a nice lunch out of it on some store bagels with cream cheese, capers, red onion and tomato. It was really good and there isn't much left. But since it is so easy, I think I will just make more. Lox are impossible to find here and sooo expensive. And here it is ridiculously easy to make them yourself..... oiy who knew??
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: I think it worked! by farnfam (Oh YUM, that sounds ...)
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Cis! Isn't it ridiculously easy?!?!? I can't wait to do it again. It is sooooo good! I made a caper sauce and served some of mine with that tossed with pasta. I did not cook the lox....just tossed it with the room temp pasta with sauce.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I think it worked! by Gourmet_Mom (I'm glad you enjoyed...)
Copper River Salmon is here, so I'm definitely doing some again - it's been so long for me.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I think it worked! by cjs (Copper River Salmon ...)
OMG!! We're one year removed form our Alaskan Cruise and it was such a BIG deal to get the Copper River Salmon run in!!

Enjoy Jean!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: I think it worked! by BarbaraS (OMG!! We're one year...)
Cis, I just saw Giada do this and thought you may be interested. I'll be trying it just as soon as vacation gets here and I get to make my gravalox.

Smoked Salmon Pizzette
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I think it worked! by Gourmet_Mom (Cis, I just saw Giad...)
oh boy, that sounds good! copied.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I think it worked! by cjs (oh boy, that sounds ...)
oh YUM, needs to be done soon
Cis
Empress for Life