Chocolate Flan Cake
  Re: (...)
I'm working on a dessert for the winery's wine club pick up party to go with their Blackberry Bliss and came up with cockamamie idea yesterday from a picture I saw somewhere.

Chocolate Flan Cake - Bundt pan, layer of caramel topped with a batch of chocolate cake batter (enough for one layer cake), and then flan batter ladled over the top and baked for 1 1/2 hours. I was surprised at how good it tasted (ya'all know me and baking... ), but it definitely is not a 'pretty' dessert. Not sure what to do about the looks as I don't want to drench it in caramel to hide...

[Image: ChocflanCake.jpg]
[Image: ChocFlanCakeSlice.jpg]

Lorraine has a wine cake that she's going to share with me and I'll try this one more time with the cake batter and see how it all tastes with the wine itself.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chocolate Flan Cake by cjs (I'm working on a des...)
When I saw this, I thought savory with fruit wine. Saw some jams at the store last weekend that I'm planning to try. Kissel's Spiced Jams Could be a nice dessert in there somewhere!
  Re: Chocolate Flan Cake by cjs (I'm working on a des...)
Looks great! Where's the flowerpot?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Chocolate Flan Cake by labradors (Looks great! Where'...)
Jeannette - good ideas. apricots, rosemary, goat cheese......hmmmmmm.

Once again, Labs, your comment flew right over my head.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chocolate Flan Cake by cjs (Jeannette - good ide...)
Jean, The cake looks amazing. I want a recipe if you dont mind.
  Re: Re: Chocolate Flan Cake by piano226 (Jean, The cake looks...)
I think it looks good! I was sure the winery had the recipe posted on their webiste, but I can't find it. I've asked them to email it to me.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Chocolate Flan Cake by Lorraine (I think it looks goo...)
Thanks Lorraine. Marina, I don't have a 'recipe' yet - I just made a caramel sauce, a 1-layer batch of chocolate batter and flan batter. But, I'd be glad to post those for you.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chocolate Flan Cake by cjs (Thanks Lorraine. Mar...)
Jean. I think the cake looks great! I am ready to dig in!

What if you used a blackberry sauce instead of the caramel. Of course then you might make a cheese cake layer instead.

But I think it looks wonderful all on it's own.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chocolate Flan Cake by esgunn (Jean. I think the ca...)
Jean, I sent you the recipe by email. I was going to post it here, but i couldn't even copy or paste it. Hope you get it ok!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Chocolate Flan Cake by Lorraine (Jean, I sent you the...)
That's a good idea, Erin, I do like the caramel in the bottom of the cake pan (makes for easy unmolding), but no reason I could drizzle with a reduced blackberry sauce. Thanks.

Lorraine, thanks, I'll go look at it.
www.achefsjourney.com