What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on eveyone's menu for tonight?

We're having the Plum-Spiced chicken from the Noble Pig blog. Looking forward to it!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/16?? by cjs (What's on eveyone's ...)
Have some leftover grilled chicken that we need to use. Might just make a salad and put some strips on top. If Ron's really hungry, it could turn into a chicken and stuffing casserole instead.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/16?? by Mare749 (Have some leftover g...)
I think I'm going to shoot for a recipe out of the June 2011 Cooking Light issue - beef and mushroom sloppy joes.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/beef-mus...0000112412
  Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/16?? by cjs (What's on eveyone's ...)
Well my question is what's for dinner on Tuesday! I am having guests for dinner, planning Small salad of Romain and Iceberg lettuce, Beef Stroganoff with noodles, perhaps some fresh green beans. For desert I am making Strawberry Shortcake Pie from the current issue.. looks yummy and impressive....Question:
What should I have for an appetizer? cheese dip and crackers, spiced pecans, or ?? I want something very easy and not too heavy, we are planning on having martini's to drink before dinner... your input would be appreciated and thanks
Wishing you butterfly mornings
and
Wildflower afternoons!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/16?? by Kathleen45 (Well my question is ...)
Welcome to the forum, Kathleen!

How about a fruit-and-cheese platter? Stroganoff is rich enough that you won't want something too heavy, as you said. Crudités with some dipping sauces would be nice, bt you're already planning for green beans and a salad. Cheeses pair well with fruits and you won't have the additional "bread" that you would have with cheese dip and crackers (esp. since you'll also be having noodles to go with the Stroganoff).

Have fun, and come back to join us more often.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/16?? by labradors (Welcome to the forum...)
I like the idea of the Crudités and fruit and cheese, but I also think a shrimp cocktail (served in a martini glass?) would be light and go well. Cheese straws, nuts and chips? Lorraine or Sharon posted a recipe for mini muffalettas on here somewhere. I have that one saved. A relish tray?

Just some random ideas. I hope this helps. And Welcome Kathleen! I hope you will visit some more now that you've found us!

HA HA! I totally forgot to post what's for dinner! I'm going to make the Goat Cheese and Chive Stuffed Chicken with roasted asparagus and maybe some corn or maybe just some of my frozen peaches for dessert..
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/16?? by labradors (Welcome to the forum...)
Oh Kathleen, do I have a recipe for you with your martinis!!!

Edited to add the picture!!
[Image: LorrainesMartiniSpread.jpg]

This is from my new book and given to me a long time ago by a friend from here on the forum, Lorraine. It's delicious.
Lorraine’s Martini Spread

My good friend Lorraine Zentgraf gave me this recipe years ago and heads up, all you martini drinkers, she says they are excellent with a martini. I’m not(a martini drinker), but I like the spread anyway!

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 oz. butter, softened
1/3 cup sliced pimento stuffed olives
2 T. minced fresh chives
Additional chives for garnish

Combine the cheese and butter; mix in olives. Serve with pumpernickel, dark rye bread, or crackers, and a martini.

-----

This is such a nice appetizer and this is the first time it's been put on the forum!! And, welcome to the forum, also, Kathleen. Your dinner sounds wonderful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/16?? by cjs (Oh Kathleen, do I ha...)
Sounds delightful and rich! We are serving "dirty martinis" so the olive dip will be great!
I also liked Labradors answer, too.. I will have to decide which to do!

I am planning on making the Strawberry Shortcake Pie tonight, do you think it will be ok, I don't what the crust to be soggy... It is the recipe in the current Cuisine@home...towards the back of the magazine.
Thank you for the warm welcomes!
and
Wildflower afternoons!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (I like the idea of t...)
Thank you, Daphne. Yes I was thinking of spiced pecans...everybody seems to love them!
'
For dinner tonight, fried butterfly shrimp, loaded baked potatoes, and grilled corn on the cob! Dessert,,, Ice cold sliced watermelon... orrrr maybe a Banana, Hot Fudge ice cream sundae!
and
Wildflower afternoons!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Monday, 5/16?? by Kathleen45 (Sounds delightful an...)
Welcome to the forum, Kathleen! Gosh, that strawberry pie looks delicious. Not sure what to tell you about making it ahead, but that's what I would most likely do, so that it can chill up properly. Have a wonderful party tomorrow night, and be sure to come back and tell us how it turned out.

Well, the leftover grilled chicken got put into homemade broth with tortellini, for a nice bowl of soup.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."