Maryann's Birthday Dinner, Review May 23rd
  Re: (...)
Jean has suggested that I get the ball rolling with the birthday dinners for this month. Hopefully, PJ will join in shortly. Jean also graciously let me pick first, so here is my choice for the first of three birthday dinners this month! All are from the new issue of Cuisine for June.

Menu:
Yakitori with tare sauce
Grilled Rice Cakes, dipped in wasabi soy
Japanese Fresh Pickles
Plum sake

* Exported from MasterCook *

YAKITORI WITH TARE SAUCE

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home Magazine, Issue No. 87
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
FOR THE TARE SAUCE, HEAT:
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin
1/4 cup sugar
4 cloves garlic -- smashed
6 thin slices fresh ginger -- crushed
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
COMBINE:
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 Tablespoon water
FOR THE CHICKEN, CUT:
1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch wide pieces -- (about 20)
2 bunches scallions -- cut into 2" wide pieces

Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush grill grate with oil.

For the sauce, heat broth, soy sauce, mirin, sugar, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil in a saucepan over high until it boils. Reduce heat to medium; simmer sauce 10 minutes.

Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl, then stir into sauce and bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes. Strain the sauce and reserve 1/2 cup for dipping.

Alternately skewer chicken pieces then two scallions onto 4 sets of double skewers, about 5 pieces of chicken per set. Grill skewers, covered, 2 minutes on each side.

Baste the side of meat facing up with sauce. Grill, covered, 2 minutes more and turn. Continue grilling and basting chicken until cooked, 12-15 minutes total.

Copyright:
"Cuisine at Home Magazine"
Yield:
"8 skewers"
------------------------------------------------

GRILLED RICE CAKES, dipped in wasabi soy

Categories :

FOR THE CAKES, COOK:
1 cup dry short-grain white rice
1/3 cup frozen edamame -- shelled, thawed, and chopped
FOR THE SAUCE, COMBINE:
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
ADD:
1 Tablespoon prepared wasabi

Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush grill grate with oil.

For the cakes, cook rice acording to package directions. Gently stir in edamame; set aside.

For the sauce, combine soy sauce and mirin in a small saucepan over high heat; reduce by a third. Transfer sauce to a small bowl and whisk in wasabi until dissolved.

Transfer 1/4 cup cooked rice to a plastic bag, form into a ball, and push into corner of bag. Shape rice ball into a wide triangle: repeat with rice to form 7 more triangles.

Grill cakes until marked, 1 minutes per side. Dip cakes in sauce, then grill 1 minute more on each side to set sauce, and remove to serve.

Copyright:
Yield:
"8 cakes"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Japanese Fresh Pickles

Categories :

FOR THE VEGETABLES, COMBINE:
2 cups English cucumber -- ribboned
2 cups daikon radish -- ribboned
2 cups carrots -- ribboned
FOR THE PICKLING, WHISK:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup plum sake
1 Tablespoon kosher salt

For the vegetables, combine cucumber, radish, and carrots in a bowl, then transfer to a quart-size glass jar.

For the pickling liquid, whisk together sugar, vinegar, sake, and salt in a small bowl until combined; pour over vegetables. Seal lid and let vegetables pickle for 1 hour before serving.

Copyright:
-------------------------------------------

NOTES : Cuisine recommends using a peeler to create the vegetables ribbons.

The sugar in the pickling mixture won't dissolve, so be sure it all transfers to the jar of vegetables.

-----------------------------------------------------

NOTES : Maryann's notes: Recipe calls for 1 T. wasabi. I would start with less, and add to taste.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner, Review May 23rd by Mare749 (Jean has suggested t...)
Okay....one question. What the heck is plum sake? And how do I sub that? I've got sake, but have decided I don't care for it. Would a peach brandy, or the like, work here?

One other comment...I was undecided,the first time I tried Sesame Oil on a dish as a finishing sauce. Tonight, I did a "fast" Korean Beef with a flank steak using my FoodSaver Marinater. I KNEW the flavor was not going to be there, so I added some sesame oil to the original marinade AND used some on the finished dish. GREAT! I've gone from accepting to HUGE fan!

Thanks for posting these Maryann. It helps to easily import them into MC9 to speed meal planning. I'm really looking forward to BOTH dinners! Hurry up, PJ!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner by Gourmet_Mom (Okay....one question...)
Daphne, it's only my opinion, but if you have regular sake, that's what I would use, especially since you aren't fond of it. At least this recipe will give you a way to use it up. I only mentioned plum sake as the beverage on the menu, because the last recipe called for it. I have regular sake and will probably use that.

Maybe what we need is a nice Japanese cocktail to go with this meal??? Any ideas?
Maryann

Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner by Mare749 (Daphne, it's only my...)
IF we find plum sake, how about a fusion cocktail - add some of it to Prosecco??

Looks good Maryann, I'm anxious to get to this one!! Thanks for posting the reicpes.

And, review date? The 23rd or the 30th???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner by cjs (IF we find plum sake...)
Let's make it the 23rd for review.
Maryann

Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner by Mare749 (Let's make it the 23...)
done.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner, Review May 23rd by cjs (done....)
Thanks for the advice, Maryann! I think I'll do that. Since it's mixed with sugar, I'm guessing it may be better.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner, Review May 23rd by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the advic...)
Jean, shouldn't this topic be a sticky until the review date?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner, Review May 23rd by labradors (Jean, shouldn't this...)
great minds and all that rot! just came on to do that.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Maryann's Birthday Dinner, Review May 23rd by cjs (great minds and all ...)
What an awesome choice, Maryann! I will be very late for this, but I will be making it. For those who don't already know, we are closing on a house Tuesday and moving out of the apartment. The biggest news is I will finally have all of my things out of storage. I only have Sundays off in the forseeable future, so not much time to unpack and get settled.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!