Tamarind question
  Re: (...)
I'm gathering my ingredients for the mystery meal, but still need the tamarind. I remember seeing it in packages at the asian store, dried, I think. Not sure if they had it frozen or in jars, but I'm going to look. Any recommendations?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Tamarind question by Mare749 (I'm gathering my ing...)
I got the paste in a plastic tub in the Asian market. I know the Latin stores should have it too. I have got to get off my butt and go look. I think I left mine with Cousin Renae in ND.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Tamarind concentrate or paste is okay, too, if you can't find the tamarind, itself.

What I have been calling "fresh" tamarind may actually be dried. I had been saying "fresh" to distinguish it from something you would find in a jar or a squeeze tube.

It's available with the shells:
[Image: driedtamarindpods.jpg]

or without (sometimes people call THIS the "paste"):
[Image: tamarind.jpg]

[Note: The first photo is something I found on the Internet, since I don't usually buy it that way. The second photo IS the actual package I buy. Please pardon the yellowish cast of the overall picture due to my orange and yellow curtain, but I managed to edit and correct it some.]

I buy a one-pound package of it without the shells, put that into a saucepan, cover with double the amount of water needed to cover it, then simmer it until it reduces to about 1 1/2 cups. After it has cooled down, I strain it, divide it into three 1/2-cup packages and freeze whatever amount I won't be using right away.

My choice of 1/2-cup portions is based upon the recipe for the Tamarind-Glazed Turkey Burgers that I've mentioned before, since that is how much it uses. Otherwise, there is nothing magical about portioning to 1/2 cup.

Don't forget, once you've made your own reduced concentrate this way, that you can put some of it into a pitcher and dilute and sweeten it to taste then serve it well chilled or over ice for a VERY refreshing beverage.

(Now, given that last bit of info, I can't wait to see if Jean or Denise will come up with a "Tarmadind-tini," or something along those lines. LOL!)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
What is Tamarind?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Tamarind question by BarbaraS (What is Tamarind?[br...)
"(Now, given that last bit of info, I can't wait to see if Jean or Denise will come up with a "Tarmadind-tini," or something along those lines. LOL!)" You know us too well - or Vicci with her rum...or Theresa would probably add it to a beer!

I'll let Labs explain what tamarind is for you, Barbara.

Maryann, I'm thinking I've only seen and purchased the paste, but I'm going to look at Central Market and see if they have any other options.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tamarind question by cjs ("(Now, given that la...)
The Greek Festival is this weekend in the city. I've mentioned this before, but this week, William commented that THAT would be something he'd be interested in. We'll see. If I can drag him...or just myself to the city, I'll be stopping by the Asian Market to check for some. If they don't have it, I may be out on the mystery box dinner. I'd have no clue where else to get it...unless I ordered it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tamarind question by Gourmet_Mom (The Greek Festival i...)
Not just Asian markets, Daphne, but also Mexican/Latino stores. WalMart probably has pre-packaged concentrate or paste, if need be.

Barbara, tamarind is a legume, but the pods have rock-hard seeds surrounded by a stringy, sticky paste. The flavour is quite sour, but does also have some degree of sweetness, though it should be used with something to sweeten it more (equal amounts of tamarind and honey make a great glaze).

The fresh, dried tamarind is usually simmered and reduced, as I outlined in an earlier message in this thread, to make a concentrated liquid loaded with flavour.

Tamarind is used in Latin, Asian and Indian cuisines in all types of food, including beverages, candies, desserts and main courses. In addition, around here, some of the locals polish the seeds and make some really beautiful jewellery out of them.
  Re: Re: Tamarind question by labradors (Not just Asian marke...)
Wow! And how is it I've never seen this spice/seed in this area before? It really sounds facinating! Thanks!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Tamarind question by BarbaraS (Wow! And how is it ...)
I got it covered, Labs. My Asian Market has a LARGE Latino section.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tamarind question by BarbaraS (Wow! And how is it ...)
You may never have SEEN it before, but you have probably eaten some of it before, without having known it, since it is one of the main ingredients in Worcestershire sauce.