Baked Potato Bar - Questions
  Re: (...)
For Mother's Day I am having a party with 12 adults and 4 children. I am having a baked potato bar with traditional toppings also a hot topping bar with: Chicken ala king, Steak and Mushrooms, and Shrimp Newburg.

My questions are:

[*]How many potatoes would you cook?
[*]How many potatoes would you cook?
[*]Will more potatoes take longer than a few?
[*]Would you pre-split the potatoes for guests?
[*]How would you keep that many potatoes warm?

We are also having a Strawberry and Romaine Salad with Poppy Seed dressing, biscuits, three pies: Banana Cream, Butterscotch Cream, and Pecan ala mode. For beverages: coffee, punch (maybe faux champagne), and a mix of different beers.

[*]Do I need another green salad? If so, any suggestions?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Baked Potato Bar - Questions by luvnit (For Mother's Day I a...)
Your menu sounds great!
I think how many you will need will depend on the size of potato you use. We use small ones,(about 4 inches long), and figure 1 1/2 per person. If you have a good oven, Idon't think there should be much of a time difference cooking wise. We keep them in a chafing dish, and split them to order, otherwise they cook off quickly. I think if you held them in a casserole dish lined with cloth napkins, they should be fine. If you want another side/salad, we've been getting great asparagus here, and it holds well on the buffet. Balnced, with a bit of olive oiland lemon juice, or hollandaise is great, and can be made ahead.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Baked Potato Bar - Questions by Lorraine (Your menu sounds gre...)
Sounds great Lorraine!

I was going to use that size approx and thought I would do 2 per adult. I was going to use my Nesco to keep them warm.

Now I have a couple more questions:

[*]Do you wrap them in foil for cooking?
[*]Do you poke them with a fork BEFORE cooking?
[*]Could I split them after cooked when putting them into the Nesco for warming? Or will they dry out?
[*]How long do you cook them for? approx?

I love the asparagus idea. I had thought of haricot verts as an option too, but asparagus would be well received I think.
Laura
  Re: Re: Baked Potato Bar - Questions by luvnit (Sounds great Lorrain...)
Asparagus is a good idea, maybe even serve it cold - it would be much easier for you and asparagus is delicious room temp. with a little drizzle of something.

your next questions -
Do you wrap them in foil for cooking?
I detest potatoes cooked wrapped in foil, BUT for ease of eating (skins can get tough) for your guests, you might want to do them with foil.

Do you poke them with a fork BEFORE cooking?

Always pierce the potatoes before cooking.

Could I split them after cooked when putting them into the Nesco for warming? Or will they dry out?

As long as they are in heat, I think you could split them ahead of time, but maybe have them covered with a cloth to keep from drying out.

How long do you cook them for? approx?

If you're offering the smaller potatoes as Lorraine mentioned they shouldn't take longer than 40-45 minutes. Larger potatoes will take an hour. 350°F.

Do I need another green salad? If so, any suggestions?
I wouldn't think so.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Baked Potato Bar - Questions by cjs (Asparagus is a good ...)
Just one more thing: After baking the potatoes, either use them right away or cool and refrigerate them right away. Especially do NOT leave them wrapped in foil, even it you think you have too many of them to use right then. Otherwise, they could grow botulism.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Baked Potato Bar - Questions by cjs (Asparagus is a good ...)
I'm with Jean, we poke them, but never wrap them. We serve the asparagus at room temp, we usually blanch them the day before asnd refrigerate.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Baked Potato Bar - Questions by Lorraine (I'm with Jean, we po...)
Okay, good tips! Thank you thank you one and all!

I will try to take pictures of my event for anyone interested in seeing
Laura
  Re: Re: Baked Potato Bar - Questions by luvnit (Okay, good tips! Th...)
That goes without saying, Laura - we want pictures.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Baked Potato Bar - Questions by cjs (That goes without sa...)
Laura, your event sounds lovely! Might have to steal your idea!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Baked Potato Bar - Questions by Lorraine (I'm with Jean, we po...)
I'd never wrap in foil. I've never poked either - but I always cut a thin slice off each end. I've never had a potato explode. A good friend of mine always rubbed them with a little oil before she poked and baked them.

I always split them with a fork and then scrunch them open so that they're fluffy inside.

It sounds like such a fun idea. I agree with Jean on the cold asparagus! I'm looking forward to pictures too.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!