Checking In :)
  Re: (...)
Well finally able to check in a bit We are in Maui, have been since Tuesday night. It is beautiful here! If you ever some only bring the following - swimsuit, sunscreen, 1 t-shirt, 1 pair of shorts, flip flops and tennis shoes. That's it. You will not wear anything else. For someone who hasn't been in a bathing suit for the last 20 years I have lived in mine from the moment we get up till we go to bed.

A small squall came in about an hour ago. Poured for 7 minutes and blew out. We've been snorkeling all day today. The conditions are not ideal and many rental places aren't even renting out gear. Seems the earthquake has stirred up a lot of sediment in the water. However...today Derek and I went snorkeling right outside our room...and I turned around to see some fish and bam a GIANT sea turtle was right there! We swam with him for about 10 minutes before he got bored with us.

Off to bbq some Ono!
  Re: Checking In :) by DFen911 (Well finally able to...)
So excited for you, Denise. What a great opportunity. And you are right, we lived in the swim suits.

Where are you staying in Maui? That island was probably my favorite, although the volcano and the black sand beach on the Big Island was pretty cool as well.
  Re: Re: Checking In :) by iBcookin (So excited for you, ...)
Glad to hear how you're doing, Denise!! Yes, to the clothes - 90% of what we took never made it out of the suitcase!1

Keep on having fun - and I hope you're taking pictures of the food!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Checking In :) by cjs (Glad to hear how you...)
Sounds like a great vacation!
  Re: Re: Checking In :) by HomeCulinarian (Sounds like a great ...)
It sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time! I wish I was there with you! I'll add my own plea to take lots of pictures....especially of the food!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Denise it sounds like so much fun and I'm so glad you two are enjoying yourselves!

I have to echo Jean - lots of pictures of the food!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Checking In :) by Harborwitch (Denise it sounds lik...)

Denise and Derek I loved Maui - we stayed up at kapaluna believe they have

torn down the hotel and replaced with condo's - our son and dil were married

on the beach. - have you gone up into the Rain forest? or to some of the

little towns? or up on the Valcano ? Enjoy - send pictures.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Checking In :) by mjkcooking ([br][br]Denise and D...)
Love Maui! What area are you staying in? If you are in West Maui (Kaanapali, Honokowai, Kahana, Napili, Kapalua) you must pick up some fish to bbq at the The Fish Market Maui. They even give you many different seasoning to choose from and a foil pan to put right on the grill. In the same center is Honokowai Okazuya Deli and they have a really great mahi with caper sauce to go.

http://www.fishmarketmaui.com/got-fish/

ALOHA!
Oh I hope you two are having a blast! Sounds like you sure are. Remember to tell me all the must do's and must eat's, and must sees. I am going to Maui in June. Can't wait! (No husband and no kids - just 4 girlfriends )
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Checking In :) by esgunn (Oh I hope you two ar...)
Went to a beautiful bay today where some of the best coral snorkeling yet! I haven't downloaded my pics yet but found one that is very similar to one I took -

[Image: honolua-bay-b1.jpg]

Not many food pics yet as since we have a condo I've been doing most of the cooking. Food here is very pricey. I did find a GREAT grocery store called Farmland Foods where the guy at the fish counter gave me the Poke Tour and I tried 8 different prep styles of this sushi grade fish. It was heaven!

Our Turtles
[Image: SeaTurtlesMaui.jpg]