Seasoning Packaged Au Jus?
  Re: (...)
I made French Dip sandwiches today and I'd like to play with some ides for them (if it's not un-American to play with a French dip... ). Of course I had jus from the prime rib yesterday, but I had Roy pick up an envelope of McCormicks Au Jus so we could have a side by side comparison. Geez, that is awful stuff. But, I'm thinking I could season it up some and maybe it would passable for those who want the alternative.

I'm thinking additions of tomato paste, red wine, thyme bay leaves, garlic....

Does anyone use this that does doctor it up and makes it taste good? would love to hear some ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Seasoning Packaged Au Jus? by cjs (I made French Dip sa...)
Most of those are yucky, Jean. Have you tried the Knorr Brand? I think their brands are pretty good. At least I did about 7 years ago when I was using that sort of thing. Another shortcut I have taken in years past is using Campbell's beef consumme...not bad, but you'd still probably want to "juice" it up a bit.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Seasoning Packaged Au Jus? by Gourmet_Mom (Most of those are yu...)
the only problem I have with Knorr products the sodium level is so darn high. I tried some of their beef & chicken bases and the sodium was out sight.

Good idea, I'll check out some consommes - thanks Daphne.

----

I guess my question should have been - does anyone have a good jus they use for French Dip sandwiches??????? (when you don't have access to freshly roasted jus)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Seasoning Packaged Au Jus? by cjs (the only problem I h...)
Oh, Jean, I totally forgot, now I use my Tones Beef Base when I don't have jus now! That way, I can make it as strong as I want. I use it because it doesn't contain MSG. The sodium level is 880 mg for one tsp. High, but not as high as Knorr. If you know of one with lower levels, do share.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Seasoning Packaged Au Jus? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Jean, I totally ...)
Au jus is not the "sauce" - it is the serving of something WITH that "sauce," which is jus. The au part means "with" and the jus part means "juice," and refers to the natural juices of the meat.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Seasoning Packaged Au Jus? by labradors ([i]Au jus[/i] is not...)

"I guess my question should have been - does anyone have a good jus they use for French Dip sandwiches??????? (when you don't have access to freshly roasted jus )"

I'm aware of this, Labs - so don't know what your point is.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Seasoning Packaged Au Jus? by cjs (the only problem I h...)
I make stock from the roasted bones - if I have them and use that.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Seasoning Packaged Au Jus? by Gourmet_Mom (Most of those are yu...)
I am with Daphne on the Consumme. I am not fond of the packets. I think most of them have a funny taste. Although I do use Knorr Hollandaise and Knorr Parma Rosa. My kids love Parma Rosa.

But I do think some tomato paste and such like you said would be a good addition (masking agent), for the powdered stuff.

Hey! Could you make a small batch of French Onion soup?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Seasoning Packaged Au Jus? by luvnit (I am with Daphne on ...)
Well, I've gots lots to play with next week. thanks all.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Seasoning Packaged Au Jus? by cjs (Well, I've gots lots...)
Gil says you are on the right path. The red wine, some carrot and onion.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.