Iron Chef (SPOILER ALERT FROM DAPHNE)
  Re: (...)
Interesting! I'm not very familiar with different applications for RADISH, so this should be enlightening for me. I thought the bio presented about the challenger, Chef Vitaly Paley, was very interesting as well. He battles Chef Garces. I hope to learn more about this veggie. I know some of you really like it, so I thought I'd let you know this was the challenge, so you could set your recorders!

Don't forget, no discussion about the outcome until everyone has a chance to watch. (But how will we know?) Shall we give it a week?

Side note: Michael Ruhlman is one of the judges!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Iron Chef (SPOILER ALERT FROM DAPHNE) by Gourmet_Mom (Interesting! I'm no...)
I'm hoping that we're going to catch it tonight! Love love love radishes!!!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Iron Chef by Harborwitch (I'm hoping that we'r...)
I never knew you could cook them, and they would loose their bitterness and take on a sweetness. I can't wait to try this.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Iron Chef by Gourmet_Mom (I never knew you cou...)
I was really hesitant to open this thread! We did tape it last night and will watch it tonight or tomorrow.

How about you guys who have watched it start your conversation and as we watch it we can continue reading the thread? I know when I hold off, I lose a lot of my train of thoughts I want to remember.....

So go ahead and talk and I'll put a warning in your thread title, Daphne, o.k.?? I'll be back to join you in the a.m.

DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IS YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THIS EPISODE!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Iron Chef by cjs (I was really hesitan...)
To be honest, I want to watch again and take down some notes. I was surprised to see radish as the secret ingredient. I didn't realize it could be used in anything other than salads or slaws. Not to mention the variety of the veggie....eleven....really? The watermelon radish is a beautiful thing. I hope to be able to find some of the other varieties other than the regular one we all know of.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Iron Chef by Gourmet_Mom (To be honest, I want...)
I love working with radishes, Daphne, anxious to see this one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Iron Chef by cjs (I love working with ...)
What a fun episode this one was, altho my favorite I. chef got beaten, love Chef Garces.

I'm so enthalled with the idea of radish sorbet and radish sangria. I'm going to look for some of those radishes to grow.

Also, Chef Paley being in Portland, we can grab Houseboat Don the next time we there and check it out.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Iron Chef by cjs (What a fun episode t...)
I have to try the sorbet!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Iron Chef by Old Bay (I have to try the so...)
I know, the judges went on and on about the sorbet. Got my attention. I would have never imagined. But the other things they did with them were so interesting. Jean, I wondered how convenient his restaurant would be for you. I was most intrigued by his restaurant and philosophy of food.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Iron Chef by Gourmet_Mom (I know, the judges w...)
I think it would be fun to visit - I shot off an email to Don...
www.achefsjourney.com