Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs
  Re: (...)
I've got a question. Do you strain out the veggies? Or leave them in the gravy?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs by Gourmet_Mom (I've got a question....)
Here's what I did...I scooped out the carrots and some of the onions with my spider and put that on the side with the beef. Then I strained it all into my degreaser, dumped the remaining onions into the pot, and added the good stuff. When it was time to eat, I heated the gravy and poured it over. The carrots were SO good...what was left of them. The beef just fell apart. And that GRAVY! AWESOME!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs by Gourmet_Mom (Here's what I did......)
I love short ribs! I love short ribs! Oh, I'm repeating myself
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
You did good girl!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
what is a spider?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs by luvnit (what is a spider?...)
Here's a picture of one, but mine is more of a mesh material...like a strainer material.

[Image: 1215262676_97012.jpg]

I use it a lot.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs by Gourmet_Mom (Here's a picture of ...)
Thanks, Bill, I think you and Jane would have enjoyed the dinner. I served a Zin...the store didn't have any Cab. But it was good.

BTW, Laura, I got mine at an Asian store. It looked different from this one, and I questioned the usefulness of the device. The little old Asian lady said (through a translator) that she could not live without hers. The longer I have it, the more I use it. I now keep it out in a cup with my wooden spoons and my silicon and pastry brushes next to the stove.

Here you go Laura....this is more like it:

[Image: 12311933393829_spider.JPG]
Daphne
  Re: Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Bill, I thin...)
I have this kind - 4 different sizes and I agree with Daphne, I use mine all the time.

[Image: 1215262676_97012.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs by cjs (I have this kind - 4...)
You know Daphne I hear that too to strain them out. I did once...and regretted it! Now I pull them like you did and the veggies are so tender and flavorful. Also if you take 1/2 of them and puree them with some of the juice it makes for a wonderful thick, tasty gravy.
  Re: Re: Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs by DFen911 (You know Daphne I he...)
Denise, that was what I was going to do, but when I tasted one of the carrots, I thought....HECK NO! Anyway, I can't imagine that gravy getting any better...LOL!

I'm looking forward to a repeat of night, and then using the leftover gravy in another dish. Hopefully, William has some venison stored away somewhere.
Daphne