Two new to me products
  Re: (...)
I came across two products that are new to me. I haven't bought them yet, but they are simmering in my mental list.

I remember Sharon talking about sunflower seed butter. Trader Joes now carries it. As well as about 4 versions of almond butter. I haven't ever tried either. Very curious.

While wandering through Costco yesterday I saw they have chinese sausage. I have seen it in recipes but never in the store. It is not in the refrigerated section but by the canned meats. But it is not canned - wrapped in plastic. Anyone try this? What is it like?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Two new to me products by esgunn (I came across two pr...)
I remember seeing the Chinese sausage in something, somewhere. Maybe Gina posted something? I do remember that I figured I'd never see the sausage around here. It's curious it's just wrapped in plastic. It must be cured kinda like summer sausage?

I'd love to find the sunflower butter. I bet it's really good.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Two new to me products by Gourmet_Mom (I remember seeing th...)
I've seen the sausage - never tried it.

The sunflower seed butter is to die for! We also found little chocolate candied sunflower seeds at Trader Joe's. Very cute and taste great!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Two new to me products by Harborwitch (I've seen the sausag...)
We love almond butter! Get the roasted. The raw to me just doesn't taste as good, like it's lacking flavor.

I bet that sausage would be good in a stir fry
  Re: Two new to me products by esgunn (I came across two pr...)
Sharon was my Santa one year. She sent me some sunflower seed butter--delicious. Think---an herbacious peanut butter. I didn't do this, but I wonder about subbing it for peanut butter in an oriental sauce.?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Two new to me products by Old Bay (Sharon was my Santa ...)
Well, I'm certainly in the mninority here - I have a jar with one knife swoop out of it of SunFlower Seed butter. CarbLover book recommends it, but I didn't care for it at all.

Oh, I'm sure looking for the Chinese sausage when I'm next at Costco - will ask them to get it if I can't find it. Lots of uses for it.

Thanks Erin.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Two new to me products by Old Bay (Sharon was my Santa ...)
Bill I have been thinking about that! Sesame oil, sesame butter Maybe I'll try a satay sauce -

Jean! I'm so sorry you didn't like it. You are the first . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Two new to me products by Harborwitch (Bill I have been thi...)
HI Erin

The Chinese Sausage - is somewhat dried - I have put it in Rice as its cooking and sliced thin in Soups We like it - it has a sweet taste -
your right its not refrigerated until its open - Lop cheong is the Chinese
name
I have had it at dimSums - sticky rice /sausage in lotus leaves
I like it let me know if you need any recipes. Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Two new to me products by mjkcooking (HI Erin [br][br]The ...)
Chinese sausages is a like a staple item in most chinese homes. Because its dried, and have a very long shelf life. In Asia, you have find that they have different meats in it. The most common ones are pork and chicken. Occasionally, especially nearing to Chinese New year you will find the liver ones. Usually duck liver.

the meat is preserved, sweet. Sliced thinly, saute in hot oil till it sizzles and crispy, can be added as part of stir fry with any kind of vegetables.

Often use as part of a one-dish meal like steamed rice or sticky rice.

Think of it as your American Beef Jerky..but that is edible..this is not. Has to be cook.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Two new to me products by Gina_Choong (Chinese sausages is ...)
Thanks Gina, I would not have known that it needed to be cooked. The fact that it is dried and on the grocery shelf instead of being refrigerated would make me think that it was very much like our American jerky.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."